How do I properly categorize a Transfer?

Options
If I see a transfer into my checking account that I initiated from my PayPal account where I am paid for my freelance work, should I put in the Category the Paypal account or the checking account? And how does this affect my overall balances? It seems like it won't affect my checking balance, but I want to make sure that it does not register as a kind of double record of my incoming freelance pay. Is that accurate? Thanks ahead of time.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're tracking your PayPal account in Quicken, the deposit transaction for your freelance work should be categorized appropriately as income in the PayPal account register in Quicken.  The transfer transaction in the PayPal account register should have the name of the checking account register in square brackets.  The corresponding transfer transaction in the checking account register should have the name of the PayPal account register in square brackets.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-categorize-transfer-quicken-windows

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The OP's question is, itself, an oxymoron. 
    Categories are used to record income and expense transactions.  The use reflects that you're either a bit richer (INCOME) or poorer (EXPENSE).
    A transfer makes you neither richer nor poorer.  It merely moves money from one place to another, just as moving your wallet from 1 pocket to another makes you neither richer nor poorer.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.