Ability to "Void" Transaction present in Q2007 but gone now?

Sorry for what is likely a dumb question, but we just converted from awesome Quicken 2007 to the current subscription version. The new software has some very nice features, but as a long-time user of Q2007 I've been "hardwired" to do certain things that I have not been able to find in the current version of Quicken for Mac. This functionality may indeed be there but I'm too senile to find it, so please bear with me.

Q2007 let one "Void" a transaction. I don't see that with the current version. Should I just delete it instead?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    When you clicked to void a transaction in Quicken 2007, all it did was (a) zero the amount oof the transactions and (b) put "VOID" in front of the Payee name -- nothing more. So you can certainly do this yourself in Quicken. Mac. But I'd suggest you do it a little better...

First, you want to capture the amount of the original transaction. (I always hated that Quicken 2007 wiped it out.)

Second you do not want to change the Payee name to begin with VOID, because in Quicken Mac, that creates a new, separate Payee from the one the check was originally written to.

My suggestion is to edit the transaction in two places: (a) edit the Memo field to show VOID, the original transaction amount, and any other reason or purpose you wish, and then (b) edit the amount to zero.

This documents that it's a voided transaction (you can search for "void" in the Search box, should you need to look up voided transactions in the future), preserves the amount of the voided transaction, and doesn't change the Payee (so if you look for transactions for Payee=XYZ, the voided transaction will be among the transactions found). 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There isn't a built-in void feature in the new Quicken Mac.  Most people probably wouldn't delete the transaction but instead just do pretty much what the old one did and put Void before the payee name, and change the amount to zero.  Some people also put the old amount in the memo (something that the old void feature didn't do).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    When you clicked to void a transaction in Quicken 2007, all it did was (a) zero the amount oof the transactions and (b) put "VOID" in front of the Payee name -- nothing more. So you can certainly do this yourself in Quicken. Mac. But I'd suggest you do it a little better...

First, you want to capture the amount of the original transaction. (I always hated that Quicken 2007 wiped it out.)

Second you do not want to change the Payee name to begin with VOID, because in Quicken Mac, that creates a new, separate Payee from the one the check was originally written to.

My suggestion is to edit the transaction in two places: (a) edit the Memo field to show VOID, the original transaction amount, and any other reason or purpose you wish, and then (b) edit the amount to zero.

This documents that it's a voided transaction (you can search for "void" in the Search box, should you need to look up voided transactions in the future), preserves the amount of the voided transaction, and doesn't change the Payee (so if you look for transactions for Payee=XYZ, the voided transaction will be among the transactions found). 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Many, many thanks to both of you; appreciate your guidance!!!
This discussion has been closed.