How to reconcile when statement is different from downloaded transactions?

I've been reconciling my Visa statement within Quicken with downloaded transactions for years. I was out of town for several days when my latest billing cycle closed, so when I got home and tried to reconcile, there were a lot more transactions downloaded (that had occurred after the end of the last cycle) than there were on the statement. As a result, the "Statement Ending Balance" (which is a terrible name since it's not the balance on my statement, but the balance within Quicken) is a lot bigger than my cleared balance (which matches my actual statement perfectly). If I click "Done" in the Reconcile dialog, Quicken wants to add an adjustment; how would I deal with that in my next billing cycle? If I don't click "Done," I can't complete the reconciliation.

Tips appreciated! :/
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Involute said:
    When I reconcile my checking account, I'm shown a dialog that let's me enter the ending balance and closing date before proceeding to the Reconcile dialog. When I reconcile a credit card, I don't get this initial dialog so I have no way to see or change the date and balance. None of the buttons on the Reconcile dialog bring it up.
    Open the credit card register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, and press Ctrl + R.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you are reconciling a register to a statement obtained from a financial institution, the Statement Ending Balance should be the closing balance on the statement and the Statement ending date should be the date of the closing balance on the statement.
  • Involute
    Involute Member ✭✭
    When I reconcile my checking account, I'm shown a dialog that let's me enter the ending balance and closing date before proceeding to the Reconcile dialog. When I reconcile a credit card, I don't get this initial dialog so I have no way to see or change the date and balance. None of the buttons on the Reconcile dialog bring it up.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Involute said:
    Open the credit card register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, and press Ctrl + R.
  • Involute
    Involute Member ✭✭
    Thanks. That did it!