Upgrading from 2017 to 2021

Options
2021 Deluxe is on it's way to me. Currently have 2017 and have the disk for it if needed later. I'm going to assume during the 20201 install it will look for a previous version QDF and ask to import it's data. After the 2021 is installed and imported the data, is it safe to remove Quicken 2017 due to limited space?..

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The new install will remove the existing program, there is no way for two versions to exist in the same Windows OS instance.  The data is all in the data file, so make sure you make a Quicken backup for safety to a thumbdrive or any other external device before you do the install.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Note that Quicken Inc has kept the QDF data format backwards compatible to Quicken 2016.  So even after opening your data file with Quicken Subscription if you need to go back to Quicken 2017 for some reason you can still do that with the same data file.  There isn't a conversion of the data file like there was before Quicken 2016 that made it incompatible with the older versions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The new install will remove the existing program, there is no way for two versions to exist in the same Windows OS instance.  The data is all in the data file, so make sure you make a Quicken backup for safety to a thumbdrive or any other external device before you do the install.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Note that Quicken Inc has kept the QDF data format backwards compatible to Quicken 2016.  So even after opening your data file with Quicken Subscription if you need to go back to Quicken 2017 for some reason you can still do that with the same data file.  There isn't a conversion of the data file like there was before Quicken 2016 that made it incompatible with the older versions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • loveoldtrux
    Options
    Thank your Splasher and Chris for the quick reply! Will keep all that in mind. Good tip about saving the QDF to a REMOVABLE thumb drive! Wish me luck next week!......