Update from R35.26 to R35.31 Fails Due to File In Use

How do I get past this error and update my subscription-bases Quicken to R35.31?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reboot your PC and try again.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    miklk said:
    That will actually put you back to R35.26 because for some reason they have yet to make R35.31 available except for automatic download.  They haven't even put it on the announcement page for R35.XX yet, which is very strange.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • bachastain
    bachastain Member ✭✭
    Me too. process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w3508\base\bagent.exe' because it is being used by another process
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too. process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w3508\base\bagent.exe' because it is being used by another process

Do you use Trend Micro antivirus (or some other antivirus program)?
    If so, temporarily disable your antivirus for the duration of the installation process.
  • TrapperCOS
    TrapperCOS Member ✭✭
    Me too! Here is the error message from Quicken for Windows after the R35.31 update, "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application, such as a cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again." I am not using cloud storage. I cannot perform any file functions due to this hung "cannot close file" process; will not allow me to restore a backup, save a file, validate the current data file, open another data file, etc. Two hour-long sessions with Quicken Support (case number: 8832023) have not resolved my issue. My transactions are all gone. Accounts are still there with the last correct balances. Very unhappy.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone using Scheduled Updates with Quicken?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too! Here is the error message from Quicken for Windows after the R35.31 update, "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application, such as a cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again." I am not using cloud storage. I cannot perform any file functions due to this hung "cannot close file" process; will not allow me to restore a backup, save a file, validate the current data file, open another data file, etc. Two hour-long sessions with Quicken Support (case number: 8832023) have not resolved my issue. My transactions are all gone. Accounts are still there with the last correct balances. Very unhappy.

Where is your Quicken data file located? In the default (and recommended) location, on your C: drive, in the \Documents\Quicken folder? Elsewhere on your C: drive? On a networked drive or external USB - connected drive?
    Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

• TrapperCOS
    TrapperCOS Member ✭✭
    To: thecreator and UKR
    Thanks so much! I cannot thank you enough. I work with a copy of my actual Quicken data file located on my C: drive. However, that said, I have been doing manual backups of my actual Quicken data file for years to an external thumb drive and to drop box. BEFORE updating to R35.31, I backed up my data, so I knew that I was going to be OK if there was an issue with the new release. That was true IF the Quicken program would allow me to access the data file, which it wouldn't.

UKR: You were 100% correct! The Microsoft Windows Defender Ransomeware protection was "Enabled" and blocking Quicken from accessing or writing to data files and folders stored on the hard drive. I followed the directions in your link above and was able to whitelist Quicken and add it as an Allowed App. POOF! There was my data. Thanks so much for doing in 10 mins what 2 Quicken Support Reps and 2 hours on the phone could not. You are my super hero today!
This discussion has been closed.