Investment update

I have several investments that are updated with the update option.  However, there is one Southwest Gas (SWX) that does not update with the other investment.  I have to individually up Southwest Gas to receive a current price change.  any suggestions would be appreciated.  I would like this security to be updated when I do a global investment update.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Other actions like quitting and restarting Quicken also cause the Price Day Change to disappear.

The problem appears to be not missing data, but that the Price Day change is computed on the fly and the calculation is not triggered when it should be.

For some reason it seems to affect recently added securities more than ones that have been in your security list for some time. Is that the case for you with SWX?
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Assuming you are referring to updating the share price, go to Tools > Security list and make sure the Download Quotes box is checked. Quotes should be be downloaded if this box is checked AND (you currently own shares OR the Watch List box is checked) 
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might look at the CUSIP number for this stock which is 844895102.  If that's not what you have for this security uncheck the matched with online security box and the CUSIP should get updated the next time you download stock information.
  • Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
    The download box is checked.  See attached.

To update this security's "Price Day Change" I have to use the update option for this specific security (SWX).  The Global update option on the general investment option does not update The SWX security

• Jerry Pederson
    The CUSIP ID is correct for SWX in the securities listing
  • Jim_Harman
    So the price updates but not the Price Day Change? In a Portfolio view, set the As of date one day earlier then back to today.

If that fixes it, you have encountered a known problem (CTP-346) which was first reported about 2 years ago.  

• Jerry Pederson
    That worked, but subsequent global updates for the current day the "Price Day Change" for SWX is dropped.  For the other securities the "Price Day Change" is correctly displayed.

Keep in mind this anomaly happens with this security only.  VERY STRANGE

• Jim_Harman
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Other actions like quitting and restarting Quicken also cause the Price Day Change to disappear.

The problem appears to be not missing data, but that the Price Day change is computed on the fly and the calculation is not triggered when it should be.

For some reason it seems to affect recently added securities more than ones that have been in your security list for some time. Is that the case for you with SWX?
  • Jerry Pederson
    It is the case, but it should not be. Quicken's MO (Method of Operation)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and time.
  • Jim_Harman
    I agree it is a bug. I was just trying to establish if you are seeing the same problem that other users have reported. 

It is certainly weird that it only or mostly affects recently added securities.

Do you have other recently added securities that do not have this problem?

Have you had other transactions with this security - dividends for example? If not, maybe that would explain the difference.
  • Jerry Pederson
    Other recently added security is AT&T (T) no problem - everything works the way it should.

other transactions I have had involving SWX are:  dividends, reinvested dividends, additional purchases.  All totals are accurately stated with each global update, but not the “Price Day Change”. 

Obviously, infected with some kind of a gremlin or bug. This along with other minor problems should be addressed by Quicken. But when is the $64 question.

This discussion has been closed.