Any idea when asset class functionality for Mac will be fixed?

Options
jash
jash Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
New to Quicken for Mac (6.4.1). First time poster. Assets Classes for my funds and ETFs don't work. Went through dozens of security symbols for my mutual funds and ETFs to change them from Asset class of "Mixed/Multiple" to the correct class (large cap stock, domestic bond, etc) . Then upon reopening Quicken later - Poltergeist! - The're back to "Mixed/Multiple"! Having funds/ETFs with extremely different asset mixtures (90% stock / 10% bond vs 10% stock/90% bond) being defined as the same class makes this part of the Mac based program fairly useless. This was not a problem in the windows version (you could just override the errors and once you corrected them, they stayed corrected). Any idea when this will be fixed? Thanks much for any info!

Best Answers

• AndyPH
    AndyPH Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'll second the question for Mac 6.4.1...My example --> I own the "Schwab SMALL CAP ETF". I think it very reasonable, and logical, that the Asset Class for this security be "Small Cap Stocks"...Every time I manually set the asset class to "Small Cap Stocks", Quicken shortly thereafter resets to "Mixed/Multiple". Looking for a fix. Thanks!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    This issue was created with the new investment Dashboards in version 6.3. The product manager has acknowledged that they only partially completed this functionality, and that they need to (a) make the investment Portfolio screen use the same detailed breakdown as the Dashboard is now using AND (b) to make this downloaded asset allocation for each security visible and editable, as it is in Quicken Windows. We have no idea when those fixes will be forthcoming.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A mutual fund almost always has multiple asset types ... even if it's predominantly "Large Cap Stock" (for example).
    Q's quotes provider is merely telling you the truth, not what you want to hear that your fund is exclusively a single class.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• AndyPH
    AndyPH Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'll second the question for Mac 6.4.1...My example --> I own the "Schwab SMALL CAP ETF". I think it very reasonable, and logical, that the Asset Class for this security be "Small Cap Stocks"...Every time I manually set the asset class to "Small Cap Stocks", Quicken shortly thereafter resets to "Mixed/Multiple". Looking for a fix. Thanks!
  • jash
    jash Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply 'Not ACPA'. I do get that probably almost every fund and ETF (or even stock for that matter) are not "technically" purely one class of asset. But , I do still think that , for example, when iShares S&P 500 Fund ETF (IVV), Fidelity's S&P 500 Fund (FXAIX) and Vanguards Federal Money Market Funds (VMRXX and VMFXX) are all considered the same asset class in Quicken's lingo that is not a useful aspect of the Mac based program. The windows Quicken version handles these differences well (i.e. the first two are clearly stock funds while the latter are money market funds). I've used Quicken for windows for about 20 years and just recently switched over to iMacs. Im sure Quicken will get there, but the MAC version is just not ready for prime time yet regarding asset allocations.
  • jash
    jash Member
    Options
    AndyPH - In addition to the Schwab Small Cap ETF (SCHA) you referenced , several of the larger Schwab stock ETFs also have the same issue. SCHV, SCHD, SCHX are Schwab's Value Stock, Stock Dividend and Large Cap Stock ETFs. According to Schwab these are all over 99% stocks (SCHV - ~100%, SCHD - 99.2%, , SCHX - ~100%), and while technically there is probably a buck or two laying around somewhere uninvested, assigning them mixed asset class status is not helpful. In addition, Vanguards Healthcare and Energy stock ETFs (VHT and VDE) are listed as mixed class as well. Quickens Mac issue regarding asset classes seems to be a wide reaching programming oversight. I am hopeful they will get their Mac programming up to speed with the Windows side of their business soon.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    This issue was created with the new investment Dashboards in version 6.3. The product manager has acknowledged that they only partially completed this functionality, and that they need to (a) make the investment Portfolio screen use the same detailed breakdown as the Dashboard is now using AND (b) to make this downloaded asset allocation for each security visible and editable, as it is in Quicken Windows. We have no idea when those fixes will be forthcoming.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mikey2021
    Mikey2021 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Quicken - [Removed - Rant]  Please either accelerate the rollout of your planned portfolio allocation tools, or allow a manual override, or just go back to the old way portfolio view worked. [Removed - Rant]
This discussion has been closed.