When I try to connect to my existing LPL.com accounts I get Error cc-501

garybuser8117
garybuser8117 Unconfirmed ✭✭
LPL Financial indicates I can set up downloads for my existing investments.  I keep getting the error cc-501.  It simply says try again later
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    The Financial Institution Directory file (FIDIR.txt) shows LPL Financial support Web Connect (WC) and Express Web Connent (EWC) but not Direct Connect (DC):
    11372    11372    11372    LPL Financial    http://www.lpl.com    1-800-877-7210    https://myaccountviewonline.com/AccountView/LogOn    ACTIVE         INVESTMENT&WEB-CONNECT         INVESTMENT&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA
    That CC-501 error code is one that applies to EWC connections and that is what Quicken is trying to get you set up with.  But EWC cannot be used with investment accounts.  (Maybe LPL offers other types of financial accounts, like checking accounts, credit card accounts, loans or other cash management accounts, that EWC can work with?)
    DC support is required to be able to download investment account transactions from within Quicken.   So you cannot set up your LPL account(s) downloads from within Quicken.
    What you can try doing is to log into your online account for LPL and check to see if LPL allows for manual downloads of your investment account transactions in QFX (or "Quicken") format.  If they do, then you can try downloading in that format and then importing it into Quicken.  (This is called the WC process.)
    If they do not offer downloading in QFX format, do they offer downloading in QIF, CSV or Excel formats?  If so, you might want to try doing that.  These formats are not directly importable into Quicken but you can download a freeware program called ImportQIF from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/.  It can convert these files into something that Quicken can import.  It was written by a long-time Quicken user and active participant in this Community forum.  I have not used this program myself but others in this Community have said it works well.
    Let me know if this helped/answered your question or if you have additional questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    @JDT and @garybuser8117 - There are 3 ways to connect with financial institutions for downloading.  You can read up on them at https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank.
    Which method(s) any specific financial institution supports is determined by the financial institution, not by Quicken. LPL has opted to support Express Web Connect (EWC) and Web Connect (WC), but not Direct Connect (DC). 
    • DC:  Required for downloading investment transactions from within Quicken.  (FYI, it is not that LPL needs DC support, it is that LPL cannot be updated from within Quicken without DC support.)
    • WC:  Must manually download and import a QFX (or "Quicken") file from the online account, not from within Quicken.
    • EWC:  This is another method for downloading transactions from within Quicken but EWC does not support downloading of investment accounts.
    Quicken will always inform you if there is an improved download method available based upon the following order/priority:
    1. WC:  Manual...no ability to download from within Quicken.
    2. EWC:  One step up from WC because downloading can be initiated from within Quicken but the connection is made indirectly via the aggregator, not directly via the Quicken software.
    3. DC:  One step up from EWC because it connects directly via the Quicken software with the financial institution.
    You were downloading manually via WC so Quicken advised you, as it should, that an improved method (EWC) with LPL is available.  It would be nice, however, if when Quicken advises this it would say which method the connection can be upgraded to.
    As noted in my post above, LPL apparently offers EWC for some other types of non-investment accounts (i.e., bank accounts, credit cards, etc.) which can use EWC but EWC cannot be used for downloading from investment accounts.  Quicken does not know which types of accounts you have at a financial institution when you first try to set up the connection method. So, when you try to upgrade your connection method from WC to EWC it cannot find your investment accounts and then returns the error code.
    My suggestion:
    1. Go back to downloading via WC.  To revert to it simply go to your online account and manually download/import from there.
    2. Disregard Quicken's message that an improved connection method is available and do not try to set up your LPL accounts with EWC in the future.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    The Financial Institution Directory file (FIDIR.txt) shows LPL Financial support Web Connect (WC) and Express Web Connent (EWC) but not Direct Connect (DC):
    11372    11372    11372    LPL Financial    http://www.lpl.com    1-800-877-7210    https://myaccountviewonline.com/AccountView/LogOn    ACTIVE         INVESTMENT&WEB-CONNECT         INVESTMENT&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA
    That CC-501 error code is one that applies to EWC connections and that is what Quicken is trying to get you set up with.  But EWC cannot be used with investment accounts.  (Maybe LPL offers other types of financial accounts, like checking accounts, credit card accounts, loans or other cash management accounts, that EWC can work with?)
    DC support is required to be able to download investment account transactions from within Quicken.   So you cannot set up your LPL account(s) downloads from within Quicken.
    What you can try doing is to log into your online account for LPL and check to see if LPL allows for manual downloads of your investment account transactions in QFX (or "Quicken") format.  If they do, then you can try downloading in that format and then importing it into Quicken.  (This is called the WC process.)
    If they do not offer downloading in QFX format, do they offer downloading in QIF, CSV or Excel formats?  If so, you might want to try doing that.  These formats are not directly importable into Quicken but you can download a freeware program called ImportQIF from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/.  It can convert these files into something that Quicken can import.  It was written by a long-time Quicken user and active participant in this Community forum.  I have not used this program myself but others in this Community have said it works well.
    Let me know if this helped/answered your question or if you have additional questions.

• JDT
    JDT Member ✭✭
    I keep reading that DC support is required for LPL Financial connection. However, I have successfully used Web Connect (WC) for several years. In July 2021, I was unable to download transactions for about 2 weeks and then for no apparent reason I was then able to successfully able to download and update on August 6th. Now again this week (Sep 6th), I am unable to update ang get CC-501 error code. This inconsistent service is EXTREMELY frustrating and has been pervasive for quite some time. LPL Financial says it is not an issue on their side. It seems that no one is getting answers from Quicken on this.
  • garybuser8117
    garybuser8117 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I have had the same challenge on the same July and September dates.  I keep getting a message in Quicken that there is a quicker way to get the data.  When I go to the link it seems to want me to set up the automatic download.  Then, I get the error CC-501 code.  I too have found LPL states it's not their problem, though Quicken says it's LPL's.  No one knows, nor seems to care unfortunately.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    @JDT and @garybuser8117 - There are 3 ways to connect with financial institutions for downloading.  You can read up on them at https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank.
    Which method(s) any specific financial institution supports is determined by the financial institution, not by Quicken. LPL has opted to support Express Web Connect (EWC) and Web Connect (WC), but not Direct Connect (DC). 
    • DC:  Required for downloading investment transactions from within Quicken.  (FYI, it is not that LPL needs DC support, it is that LPL cannot be updated from within Quicken without DC support.)
    • WC:  Must manually download and import a QFX (or "Quicken") file from the online account, not from within Quicken.
    • EWC:  This is another method for downloading transactions from within Quicken but EWC does not support downloading of investment accounts.
    Quicken will always inform you if there is an improved download method available based upon the following order/priority:
    1. WC:  Manual...no ability to download from within Quicken.
    2. EWC:  One step up from WC because downloading can be initiated from within Quicken but the connection is made indirectly via the aggregator, not directly via the Quicken software.
    3. DC:  One step up from EWC because it connects directly via the Quicken software with the financial institution.
    You were downloading manually via WC so Quicken advised you, as it should, that an improved method (EWC) with LPL is available.  It would be nice, however, if when Quicken advises this it would say which method the connection can be upgraded to.
    As noted in my post above, LPL apparently offers EWC for some other types of non-investment accounts (i.e., bank accounts, credit cards, etc.) which can use EWC but EWC cannot be used for downloading from investment accounts.  Quicken does not know which types of accounts you have at a financial institution when you first try to set up the connection method. So, when you try to upgrade your connection method from WC to EWC it cannot find your investment accounts and then returns the error code.
    My suggestion:
    1. Go back to downloading via WC.  To revert to it simply go to your online account and manually download/import from there.
    2. Disregard Quicken's message that an improved connection method is available and do not try to set up your LPL accounts with EWC in the future.

• JDT
    JDT Member ✭✭
    Still attempting from time to time to download via WC to no avail. I have been downloading from LPL using WC for years until August 7th when I began getting error OL-297-A, "Quicken is unable to establish an internet connection". I am getting no help from Quicken or LPL on this issue - just finger pointing. PLEASE HELP!! I submitted the issue through Quicken and never received a response.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2021
    JDT said:
    Still attempting from time to time to download via WC to no avail. I have been downloading from LPL using WC for years until August 7th when I began getting error OL-297-A, "Quicken is unable to establish an internet connection". I am getting no help from Quicken or LPL on this issue - just finger pointing. PLEASE HELP!! I submitted the issue through Quicken and never received a response.
    Have you tried creating a new Quicken file (name it "TEST" or something else that is unique) and then downloading/importing the WC file into that?  This can help to identify if the issue is with your primary data file or if it is an issue caused by something else.

• JDT
    JDT Member ✭✭
    I have. I copied the file to a TEST file, deactivated the download option and attempted to set up fresh. No Luck.
  • JDT
    JDT Member ✭✭
    I have also tried to set up a new account and Quicken message is "We couldn't get information about LPL Financial. This account will be set up as a manual account."
  • Boatnmaniac
    JDT said:
    I have. I copied the file to a TEST file, deactivated the download option and attempted to set up fresh. No Luck.
    JDT said:
    I have also tried to set up a new account and Quicken message is "We couldn't get information about LPL Financial. This account will be set up as a manual account."
    By copying your primary data file you would have also copied any potential data file corruption in it and/or in the associated Cloud Account to the TEST file.  I suggested creating a NEW file and naming it TEST so no corruption would be copied to it. 
    Please try the following and posting the results back here so we can determine what might be the next appropriate step(s) to take.:
    1. Create a new file (File > New Quicken File).  Name it TEST2 (to avoid conflict with TEST).
    2. No need to set up any new accounts in this TEST2 file.
    3. Then log into your LPL online account and try downloading your transactions in QFX (or "Quicken") format from there and importing it into TEST2 (this is the Web Connect process). 
    4. If successful, this process will set up the new LPL account in TEST2 and it will be pretty good evidence that your primary data file and/or associated Cloud Account might be corrupted.

• JDT
    JDT Member ✭✭
    I created the test file with no accounts as per your suggestion and tried importing my LPL QFX file. I got the same error messages. It is as if there is no affiliation between Quicken and LPL Financial.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2021
    JDT said:
    I created the test file with no accounts as per your suggestion and tried importing my LPL QFX file. I got the same error messages. It is as if there is no affiliation between Quicken and LPL Financial.
    I'm fast approaching a dead end on ideas that might help you.  I did a thorough search of this Community and found quite a few others over the last few years who have experienced an issue that sounds similar to yours.  Some said they had to contact LPL to get it resolved.  One post that is perhaps the most clear on what he requested of LPL is https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7893310/cannot-download-investments-from-lpl-financial-via-any-method...scroll down to the very last post in the thread.  What that person says seems to be supported by a LPL website page: https://www.lpl.com/join-lpl/managing-your-business/tech-capabilities-and-offerings/lpl-account-view.html.
    Another option you might want to consider:  You might be able to do manual downloads and imports from LPL if LPL allows you to download in QIF, CSV or Excel format.  Then you could try using a freeware program called ImportQIF (http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/) to convert the file so it can be imported into Quicken.  This program was developed by a guy who is a longtime Quicken user and one of the more active contributors in this Community forum.  I have not used the program myself but many who have used it say it is pretty easy to use and it works well.

• JDT
    JDT Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been importing transactions for years using the process in the last post of the link you suggested. I export the transactions from LPL Account View in QFX format and simply import into Quicken. That process stopped working in August and I'm now two months without any account updates. I'll try a csv file download and conversion to qfx. The problem is that when I try to import the file, I get the following message "Quicken is currently unable to verify the financial institution information for this download. Please try again later." Looks like I'm out of luck and Quicken nor LPL seems to care about the issue.
This discussion has been closed.