Loan Reminder vs. Memorized Payee on Loan Payment Options

Options
I'm having trouble getting Q Premier to enter my mortgage payment into my checking register automatically as a "Send" transaction. Instead, it's entered as a "Sched" transaction, forcing me to edit it each month and send it when I Update the account. I overlooked this last month and had to pay a $75 late fee to the mortgage company.

In the Loan Payment Options, the options "Loan Reminder" and "Memorized Payee" are very unclear. Here are my specific questions:

1. Loan Reminders are only supposed to set a reminder, just as the name suggests. But there's a check-box where I can select it to be automatically entered (doesn't say where the entry will occur, so I'm not understanding this).

2. Why is Quicken recommending using a Loan Reminder instead of a Memorized Payee? What are the advantages?

3. Text under both options say they will calculate the principal an interest automatically, but neither of them need to do that because the loan setup in Quicken has already done those calculations. So what is meant by these functions doing that calculation? Could they potentially override the Mortgage setup an introduce erroneous payments? Did Programmer A know what Programmer B was up to?

4. I selected the Loan Reminder option, which is contra-intuitive because of course my mortgage company is a Memorized Payee. But when Q enters the payment directly into the register, how do I get it to enter it as a "Send" transaction?

I spent several hours with three different phone reps and basically walked the third guy through a mortgage setup (none of them knew how to do it). But he could not answer these questions, so I'm about 95% complete on this. I just need to get the transaction entered as a "Send", which was never a problem on earlier releases until Quicken threw a wrench into this process.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1. The loan payment transaction will be entered in the payment account of the loan payment reminder.
    2. Using a reminder has many advantages over a memorized payee.  For example, the reminder may be viewed in the register, projected balance, budgets, may be automatically entered in a register, and send online payment instructions.
    3. The loan payment memorized payee and reminders perform the calculations for the loan payment transaction.
    4. Assuming the payment account register is able to issue online payments, you may set the reminder to issue the repeating payment instruction or issue the online payment instruction when you enter the transaction.
    If you haven't already, I suggest you review the help documentation on the subject: https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3217589

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1. The loan payment transaction will be entered in the payment account of the loan payment reminder.
    2. Using a reminder has many advantages over a memorized payee.  For example, the reminder may be viewed in the register, projected balance, budgets, may be automatically entered in a register, and send online payment instructions.
    3. The loan payment memorized payee and reminders perform the calculations for the loan payment transaction.
    4. Assuming the payment account register is able to issue online payments, you may set the reminder to issue the repeating payment instruction or issue the online payment instruction when you enter the transaction.
    If you haven't already, I suggest you review the help documentation on the subject: https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3217589
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, this is how I have set it up. Hopefully it will enter the transaction and mark it Send and not Sched.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, this is how I have set it up. Hopefully it will enter the transaction and mark it Send and not Sched.

PLEASE don't post PDF files in the forum.  JPG, or other graphic types, are much easier for others to read as our browsers can open the graphics directly ... as opposed to our PDF readers having to be invoked.
    AND, you had to create the graphic in order to paste it into your PDF anyway ... so my request would save you a step.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.