Sell of securities from one account to purchase securities of another?

Anthony T
Anthony T Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I'm tracking my investment of my HSA account manually.

The issue I'm having is when the account is rebalanced it sell shares and purchases new shares to keep the overall portfolio balanced. Example I sell VTI shares and then purchases VIG shares with the cash it received from selling the VTI shares.

How do I show this type of transaction?

If I use the transfer shares to another account it just move those shares over into the new account? Example when I transfer VTI shares it simply moves the many shares over into my VIG account. I want to show that I sold the VTI shares in my VTI account and instead of having a cash balance from the account the money is used to purchased the VIG.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @anthonyT

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue. I do apologize for the late response. I was thinking about it and one of the possibilities you could use is instead of buying and selling shares you could add and remove shares. This will take the cash out of the equation so you can then create the removal of the original shares and add the ones to replace them. I believe this would be the most forward option but my knowledge is limited in investing.

Let us know if this works for you! If not we'll see what other things we can attempt.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm a little confused. You refer to your HSA account, but then refer to multiple different accounts. Typically you'd have one HSA account with multiple securities as your holdings. So you'd have a Sell transaction for your VTI shares, creating cash, then a Buy transaction for your VIG shares, using up the cash. This would be all within the HSA account -- no transfers.

If there are actually multiple accounts involved, then you'd need an additional transaction of the type Payment/Deposit to move the cash from th sale to the other account. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps, are you using the "Single Mutual Fund" account type for your HSA?  An SMF requires that ONLY one particular mutual fund can ever be held in that account.  If you sell that fund, you need to move the cash to another account to buy the new fund.
    BUT, if you're not downloading, there's no need for an SMF. And, for most Financial Institutions, there's no need to use an SMF either.  Very few FI's require that your Q accounts be SMFs.
    SO, turn off SMF in your VIT account.  Do TOOLS, Account List, click EDIT adjacent to the VIT account name and check NO adjacent to "Single Mutual Fund Account?".
    THEN, move all shared from other SMF accounts for your HSA to this account.
    NOW, when you sell your VIT shares, you can purchase the VIG shares within the same Q account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just realized that you're running QMac ... my earlier instructions about turning off SMF are for QWin.
    But, it you look around a bit within your QMac you should be able to find how to turn off SMF there also.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Mac doesn't have anything like SMF, as far as I can tell. It doesn't even have an HSA account type, I wound up using Brokerage for mine.

As for how to handle a rebalancing, I agree with jacobs. There should be a Sell transaction for VTI and a Buy transaction for VIG. If there's a cash balance for 1 day (or a few days), that isn't an problem.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Jon is correct: There is no SMF in Quicken Mac, so you'll have to disregard NotACPA's directions for Quicken Windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.