Why do I get "uncategorized" in the Investment Income Report

David Christopher
David Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
edited January 23 in Investing (Windows)
When I double-Click the amount the list is populated with Buy transactions for the period I am looking at. I do not see a Category selection or choice when I enter a Buy in a brokerage account.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Maybe this will help.  As the other said there are going to be transactions that don't have categories, since by their nature not all investment transactions have categories.  But the sum of them should be zero.  So you are in fact looking for an imbalance.

If you double click on the uncategorized amount in the report you get a list of the transactions.  There are columns for Cash, Amount Invested, and then Cash+Invest.  Cash+Invest should be zero.  Find the transaction(s) that aren't zero.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double-click on "Uncategorized" to get a Transaction Detail report for more information about the nature of these trasnactions.
  • David Christopher
    I do that and the list shows Purchase transaction. But when I enter a “Bought” transaction “Category” is not a choice, just Symbol, Qty, and Price are listed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do that and the list shows Purchase transaction. But when I enter a “Bought” transaction “Category” is not a choice, just Symbol, Qty, and Price are listed.
    You are correct. A "Buy - Shares Bought" transaction does not contain anything that needs to be categorized.
    Is this "Purchase transaction" really the same as a "Bought" transaction or does it refer to some other action?
    What about the "Uncategorized" expenses?
    If you run an unfiltered "Investment Transactions" report, YTD, how do these transactions appear?
    Have you checked your investment account for Placeholder transactions?

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    The amount of "Uncategorized" in my file for that report shows $0.  The detail report does show all the Buys, and other Actions as well, but clearly none of the related dollar amounts are flowing up to the summary report.
    I'm guessing that some transaction or transactions are resulting in the $2,518.04 and $2,000.02 amounts shown on your report, so you'll need to find those transactions.  You can "Customize" that detailed list to eliminate the Bought actions and to pare the list down and then try and spot what's causing that dollar amount.
    I seem to recall that Returns of Capital would flow through to this report, but they obviously don't anymore since my detail report does have some of these.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Maybe this will help.  As the other said there are going to be transactions that don't have categories, since by their nature not all investment transactions have categories.  But the sum of them should be zero.  So you are in fact looking for an imbalance.

If you double click on the uncategorized amount in the report you get a list of the transactions.  There are columns for Cash, Amount Invested, and then Cash+Invest.  Cash+Invest should be zero.  Find the transaction(s) that aren't zero.
    Signature:
  • David Christopher
    I use the "action" Bought when I purchase a position and log it into Quicken account register.
    The first buys I made in Jan look like this in register.

In the report, when I click on Income Uncategorized those transactions look like this:

When I click on Expense uncategorized it looks like this:

I do not have any uncategorized expenses in my Quicken file for this year.

And here is the Investment Transactions report for those purchases.

Hope that shows you an example.  I am new at using Investments in Quicken. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see anything wrong with those transactions.

What I did notice right off the bat is that you have uncategorized Income transactions.  Normally for investment only kind of accounts I expect only to see Uncategorized in the Expense section.

That lead me to believe that the uncategorized transactions are coming from non investment accounts.
    You can specify the Account intent for savings accounts as Investment, and that will put them on this report.  I have one such account, and I purposely changed one transaction so that it didn't have a category and here is the result.

Maybe that is what is going on.
    Signature:
  • David Christopher
    Thank you men. QPW's idea helped me clear it up. My wife passed away in May and I had transferred the $2000 from her bank into the account, then I needed it a few weeks to pay for her Nursing home stay. I transferred the money back into her account, but after she passed I closed her accounts at the bank and then I took all of her Accounts out of Quicken. The 2K uncategorized went away in Expenses after I put the money in my bank account then deleted  it, so my balance went back to correct. The .02 there were two one cent Balance Adjustments I made and I categorized them as such.

I am still stuck with 500 in Uncategorized Income section. Back in March I transferred 500 into the account, but I entered it as a deposit instead of making an entry in check register. So, rather than trying to make it correct, I will leave as is. 

Hopefully, next year I will not make such boo camp mistakes. 

Thanks for your help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can get a deposit out of "uncategorized" by making it a "balance adjustment", set the category to [Account Name].  This is the correct accounting for money that comes/goes from outside of Quicken.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Signature:
  • editio
    editio Member

I figured out how to fix this: In the report, click on the Uncategorized stock transaction to edit it. At the bottom, there is a box for "Use cash for this transaction" with radio buttons. If you leave it as "From this account's cash balance", the transaction will be uncategorized in the report. If you select "From" and explicitly enter the (this same) account name, it generates a category, as the account name, as expected.

This discussion has been closed.