Merge two credit card accounts

Options
Had to replace my credit card and ended up with transactions in two separate accounts. How do I combine them into one account?
I searched the site and surprisingly did not find an answer. I came across a question about merging two checking accounts w/o an answer.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi @Ridgerider

Sorry to hear that you ended up with two accounts where there should be only one. 

Typically, when a credit card gets replaced (which I have gone through a few times already) it is best to: first just disconnect the account from online services, then change the credit card account number on the "Account Details" tab, and then reconnect the the new credit card with the financial institution.

Since that isn't available now, I suggest that you move the credit card transactions form the old account to the new, using the "Move transactions" function.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jimpeyton
    jimpeyton Member ✭✭
    Options
    Not the most elegant of solutions as transfers to the CC account (e.g., payments) would then point to invalid account. I'm still waiting on Quicken Tech Support on this very issue. So far the recommendation is to create new account in Quicken from the financial institution and disconnect online services from the old account. This leaves you with two accounts....not the optimal solution.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    jimpeyton said:
    Not the most elegant of solutions as transfers to the CC account (e.g., payments) would then point to invalid account.
    No, that isn't correct.
    Example:

Create new account:

Now back to the original credit card and copy the transactions to the new one.

Notice that the payment from checking account (a transfer) is just fine.
    I do have to deal with the duplicate opening balance, and of course if this was an actual merge of two accounts, I would have to take care not to transfer duplicate transactions.  But as you can see the transfers to other accounts are just fine.

Note that the real process would be to remove the opening balance from the new account and any duplicate transactions in it before copying all the transactions (including the opening balance transaction) from the old to the new.  Once that is done, remove the old account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @jimpeyton

Sorry, I just saw now that you posted to this old thread. 

But @Chris_QPW is spot on.  You will  not have an issue of "orphaned transfers" if you follow the guidance noted above in both my original post, and Chris' post (which is beautifully illustrated).

Let us know how that goes, or if you run into any snags along the way.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jimpeyton
    jimpeyton Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Frankx --- in my case the financial institution re-issued a credit card with a different number after some sketchy activity. The solution put forward by Tech Support was as follows:
    1) Edit old account to Deactivate Online Services
    2) Edit account details to delete Account Number from General Tab
    3) Add NEW last four digits (at least in my case) in Account Number Field
    4) Add NEW account [Tools --> Add account]
    5) Go to your financial institution -- hit next
    6) Login to financial institution and authorize access -- select your account with new number
    7) LINK to the old account (i.e. do NOT add a new account, link to the old account
    8) Hit next and the magic happens....you save all your old data and are now accessing the new account -- all in the same register. In my case the register goes back several years, nearly a decade in fact.

This solution worked for me YMMV. I did have to do some cleanup of a few duplicates

Full Disclosure: I had been adding transactions to the old account for a few MONTHS without noticing that the one step update was not clearing new transactions...they were going to a new account created when I changed CC numbers. Severe pilot error on my part.
This discussion has been closed.