Help with online help

Options
garysmith87
garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
This actually applies to both Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows subscription.

Since Quicken Inc changed the format of Quicken Help to a more online based search, I really am at a loss how this actually works anymore.  In most cases, I put in a search term for what I need help with and up pops an entire group of non-applicable items.  And it's usually specific to the version I'm NOT using...so that I get Quicken Windows responses to a Quicken Mac search request.

I was used to press the old F1 key, enter certain keywords and the appropriate help screen would show on the right side, with the main and subtopics on the left.  

I don't consider myself to be that much of a dunce...nor illiterate in Quicken...but using the newish HELP has me baffled.  I find that even the simplest of topic searches takes me off in tangents that are irrelevant.  

Any way I can get access to how the old HELP used to work?  Or at least a workflow to make it easier to find what I'm looking for, starting with each and every selection I should use along the way.  Any general search item you give as an example with how you got there would help me.  

And no, I don't have anything specific I'm looking for.  It's just the HELP in general that seems to be a convoluted path.  

Thanks for all responses to this.  Really appreciate the help.  

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well you are not alone.  I find the new system quite bad.  Not only does it search "non help" and such that isn't helpful when you are looking for help on a part of Quicken, not looking to search forums and support articles, but it also uses a built-in web browser window that doesn't even allow you to see the URL that you are on.

What might help a bit is there is a link at the bottom on that page that allows you to switch to local help files.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Chris_QPW If we're talking about Quicken Mac, it does not have a built-in browser window; help opens in your default browser, and you can see the URL of were you are, whatever you click on.

@garysmith87 In Quicken Mac, you open help by going to the Help menu and selecting Quicken Help. Is this what you're doing? This opens in a browser and you should see this screen:

Clicking any of the links takes you to help pages which are strictly for Quicken Mac. And using the Search box also provides results specific to Quicken Mac, like this:

If you're experiencing something different, please share some specifics about how you're getting Quicken Windows help from Quicken Mac.

(By the way, if you use Quicken Help a lot and wish it had a simple keyboard command rather than needing to use the menu, you you can easily add a keyboard shortcut for any menu selection in any Mac program through a feature built into macOS. You get there via System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, then clicking +, selecting Quicken (not All Applications), typing the name of the menu command, and assigning a command key. You can read a more detailed description from Apple here.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jacobs said:
    @Chris_QPW If we're talking about Quicken Mac, it does not have a built-in browser window; help opens in your default browser, and you can see the URL of were you are, whatever you click on.

I was responding to this (Since I never have used Quicken Mac I just assumed it was the same complaints):
    This actually applies to both Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows subscription.

Just so you know, this is what it is like for Quicken Windows.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Chris_QPW Yup, I understood you were replying from a Quicken Windows perspective. 😉  I was pointing out how Quicken Mac differed, and perhaps questioning Gary’s assertion that the same issues with Help existed in both platforms. Hopefully he’ll reply with some examples of where he’s seen it provide help screens for the wrong platform.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.