Question about running my Qdf on 3 PC's

So here's what I've got. I'm running my Qdf on a newer desktop, an older desktop, and a laptop, however the laptop is the only one I'm running Express Web connect on. I'm downloading my transactions using (Manual) Web connect on both Desktops. I have sync turned OFF.

My question is this. What kind of implications will there be on the Desktops' files when I have to do anything where they will have to go through a 'sync" operation required by Quicken. I think that might include "Copy" and Version updates ??? When the sync that Quicken has to do on certain operations and the cloud data that's updated affect my Express Web update cloud data in a way that is going to screw up the works?

What might the implications be on the desktops if I change over to express Web connect at a later time? My Quicken has been running flawlessly on the desktops just using Manual Web Connect, but thought staying in the loop by using Express Web Connect might be a good idea on just the Laptop, but I don't want to if it's going to create problems later by using Manual and Express downloads in tandem on different PC's.

Thanks for any and all input or suggestions!

Best Answers

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Sherlock, @Splasher. It's the same file used on all 3. Taken from an USB drive from copied QDF on thenewer desktop then added to a Quicken folder on each PC, then opened that file from each Quicken folder on each PC starting with the Express Web Connected Laptop first. I believe that was a mistake however. The Qdf update on the new desktop had missing and extra transactions after I did a manual web connect with it. So do I need to go back now and create a copy on each PC to verify the cloud is happy with what I've done?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    TTSguy said:
    What can I expect if in 2 months I decide to start doing Express Web downloads on either Desktop 2 months out? (My credit union goes back 6 months with transaction eligible) will Qkn cloud present me with corrupy, repeat and missing transactions?
    If each Quicken file was not created by File > New Quicken File... or Create a Copy or Template, they are sharing some state in the Quicken Cloud.  Some changes made in one file will impact the other files when Quicken synchronizes the data with the shared cloud account.  Some of these changes may result in Quicken file corruption.  Note: Quicken is synchronizing data even when we disable Sync and have no accounts selected. 

The specific impact of enabling or disabling the Express Web Connect connection method to import transactions to one or more of the Quicken files that are sharing state is minimal if Cloud Sync is disabled.  For example, you may experience a one time import of duplicate transactions when switching connection methods.  

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    As long as each Quicken file was created by File > New Quicken File... or Create a Copy or Template and Quicken is accessing each file in a folder on a local drive, you should be fine. 
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not clear how many DIFFERENT files you are working with on these three computers.
    Does each computer have its own unique data file?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Sherlock, @Splasher. It's the same file used on all 3. Taken from an USB drive from copied QDF on thenewer desktop then added to a Quicken folder on each PC, then opened that file from each Quicken folder on each PC starting with the Express Web Connected Laptop first. I believe that was a mistake however. The Qdf update on the new desktop had missing and extra transactions after I did a manual web connect with it. So do I need to go back now and create a copy on each PC to verify the cloud is happy with what I've done?
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    What can I expect if in 2 months I decide to start doing Express Web downloads on either Desktop 2 months out? (My credit union goes back 6 months with transaction eligible) will Qkn cloud present me with corrupy, repeat and missing transactions?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you explain why you are using the same file (copies) on three different computers and updating them separately?
    Due to the way you created the copies, Quicken sees them as all the same file, so doing Express Web Connect downloads on more then one of the computers could cause issues.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:
    To separate the files, you need to use Create a Copy or Template (select File > Copy or Backup File...).  Otherwise, the Quicken file share state in the Quicken Cloud.  Note: Quicken is synchronizing data even when we disable Sync and have no accounts selected.

Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... and Create a Copy or Template generate a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    TTSguy said:
    If each Quicken file was not created by File > New Quicken File... or Create a Copy or Template, they are sharing some state in the Quicken Cloud.  Some changes made in one file will impact the other files when Quicken synchronizes the data with the shared cloud account.  Some of these changes may result in Quicken file corruption.  Note: Quicken is synchronizing data even when we disable Sync and have no accounts selected. 

The specific impact of enabling or disabling the Express Web Connect connection method to import transactions to one or more of the Quicken files that are sharing state is minimal if Cloud Sync is disabled.  For example, you may experience a one time import of duplicate transactions when switching connection methods.  
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Got it Thanks!!! I'm understanding the cloud as just the clearing house of the file that you're using. Makes sense now. Just using Express Web connect on the laptop only. Desktops I use Manual web connect only! That works GREAT when your don't have to incorporate Sync. I wish there was a "Basic" quicken version that you could use with no sync necessary. I wish there was a "Basic" version for bank transactions and reports only!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTSguy said:
    … I wish there was a "Basic" quicken version that you could use with no sync necessary. I wish there was a "Basic" version for bank transactions and reports only!
    They tried that back in 2012 & 2014, they called it checkbook, at one point they gave it away and they still dropped it because evidently no one wanted it.  I grabbed a copy to just check it out, it was the manual users perfect tool.

This discussion has been closed.