Possible to Archive Historical Data?

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Reduce Size of QDF File.

Comments

• timmy60
    timmy60 Member
    I back up my file to cloud storage every time I make or change an entry. It takes a while to upload this size file. Is there a way to make a historical reference file and then have a smaller active file?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    timmy60 said:
    I back up my file to cloud storage every time I make or change an entry. It takes a while to upload this size file. Is there a way to make a historical reference file and then have a smaller active file?
    It certainly is possible to reduce the Quicken File size by segmenting the data (select Files > Copy or Backup File) but it is a bad approach to resolving the issue you're experiencing.  I suggest you consider using backup software that saves the incremental differences instead of the entire file.  We use Duplicati.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    timmy60 said:
    It certainly is possible to reduce the Quicken File size by segmenting the data (select Files > Copy or Backup File) but it is a bad approach to resolving the issue you're experiencing.  I suggest you consider using backup software that saves the incremental differences instead of the entire file.  We use Duplicati.  
    Depending on the cloud service used, they already use incremental uploading.
    Example.  My 148MB file (Open Quicken data file and close is it has some changes).

OneDrive.
    First copy transfer time: 1 minute 45 seconds.
    Replace existing file with new one: 20 seconds.

Dropbox:
    First copy transfer time: 1 minute 45 seconds.
    Replace existing file with new one: 4 seconds.

Clearly both do incremental uploading, but Dropbox is much better at it than OneDrive.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.