Quicken Windows incorrectly values remaining stocks after a partial sale

jackw8
jackw8 Member ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Investing (Windows)
In the "security detail view" after a partial sale of stock the remaining shares original cost is changed to the sale price resulting in a loss on the remaining shares. The "security detail view" provides the incorrect value. Depending on the account value the error can be significant to "Net Worth" and other calculations.

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @jackw8

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your stock values. It sounds like something may not have gone through on the transaction side causing the issue but it's difficult to say without knowing a bit more. Could we get a couple of photos to help illustrate the issue of the transactions and the security detail view as well? This should give us a better idea of what's happening. I'll leave an article down below on how to do so. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Note: You may need to drag any screenshots into the response box in order for you to be able to add them.

Once you get a chance please let us know more about the issue and we'll take a look to see what we're able to do to resolve the issue you're having.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jackw8
    jackw8 Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately because of my limited computer capability I was unable to get screen shots of the appropriate views.
    However, I think the following information should be adequate to verify the issue.
    I bought 1000 GS options on 2/5/21 for a total cost of $39,228.38 Quicken and Brokerage agree.
    I sold 500 GS options on 9/10/21 for $55,850 Quicken and Brokerage agree on the transaction but not on the remaining account value.
    On the remaining 500 options Quicken shows a loss of $6,612.56 while the Brokerage shows a profit of $29,764.88.
    Quicken has updated the original cost to the sell price of the sold 500 options.
    Hope this helpful in explaining the issue and as you can see the error is not insignificant.
    Thx
    Jackw8
  • jackw8
    jackw8 Member ✭✭
    Any update on this issue?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    In a test file I mimicked the transactions you posted and ended up with the correct remaining basis:

(Right click the image and show the image in a new tab to enlarge the image.)
    Are the transactions shown consistent with your actual entries?  If they are but the Holdings view for this sequence now shows a Cost Basis of $55,850.00 then that suggests something is wrong in your data file.  Have you tried validating the file?
  • jackw8
    jackw8 Member ✭✭
    No I haven't tried to validate the file- I will
  • jackw8
    jackw8 Member ✭✭
    I validated the file-- The window you're showing is not the window with the error. More later
  • Tom Young
    The "Security Detail View" should show the same information - dollars-wise - as the Holding View.  In my test, it does:

• jackw8
    jackw8 Member ✭✭
    The security detail view is where the incorrect data is as I reported earlier- cost basis is incorrect resulting in a loss of $6612.56 while my UBS Brokerage account shows a correct profit of $29,764.88
  • jackw8
    jackw8 Member ✭✭
    I think I may have just found the problem. UBS does a simultaneous buy/sell transaction (as well as the real sell transaction) to account for the brokerage fees. Apparently Quicken uses this new sell transaction as the cost basis (?)
  • jackw8
    jackw8 Member ✭✭
    Correction: "the new sell transaction"
  • Tom Young
    edited October 2021
    This is the time where it would be very, very helpful to actually see the transactions in your transaction list.  The "simultaneous buy/sell transaction" is new information, and I'm not really sure what that means in the context of this conversation.  
    I don't understand how the Security Detail View and the Holdings View can get disconnected, they should mimic one another if the security is held all in the one Account. 
    I was focusing on the "cost" aspect of your first post so the pictures I put up were mainly to show that, based on the transactions you described, Quicken would calculate basis for the remaining shares correctly.  But now see that even the $29,764.88. that the brokerage shows as unrealized gain is wrong as the (correct) unrealized gain is $36,235.81.  The spread between your Quicken number of unrealized loss of $6,612.56 plus the brokers unrealized gain of $29,764.88 is $36,377.44 is fairly close to the (correct) Quicken figure - maybe brokerage fees of $141.63 explain the difference - but I think the next step is to contact Quicken support by phone.
    They can screen share with you and see the transactions and perhaps come up with an answer.