Bank Bill Pay with Chase

I have 2 checking accounts with Chase. One I can enable Bank Bill Pay, the other I cannot. I have spoken to Chase numerous times and they say its a Quicken issue, that Quicken interface is enabled. Quicken support says its a Chase problem (as I suspect). I have reset the account in Quicken and no luck. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Verify that you are using Direct Connect with Chase rather than Quicken Connect. Direct Connect required for Bank Bill Pay.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    When I go to Settings/Details/Change Connection type it just reconnects me as before. I tried deactivating and reactivating but it connects again as Quick Connect. I feel like the connection type is the solution just unable to change it. Thanks for your help.
    Instead of navigating through Settings, try deactivating the account then going through Accounts > New. From there, search for and select Chase, then click the grey Options button instead of Continue and see if it will give you the option to select Direct Connect. If successful, be sure to Link the account to the existing account you have set up in Quicken.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Mark Androw

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your bill pay. you're using direct connect from the sounds of it. That being said are you not able to activate the second account for bank bill pay? What happens when you do try to? I was trying here on my end to do it with a Checking/Savings account and was able to but that's still different than what you're attempting. 

Please let us know more about what exactly happens when you try to activate the account for bank bill pay and we'll see what our next steps are.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    If I choose the Chase account and go to settings, Bank Bill Pay is enabled but when I go to the register to enter a transaction only Quick Pay and Mail with Check Pay are options (along with Next Check Number and Print Checks). My bank says that Quicken is enabled on their end. Thanks for your help in correcting this.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @Mark Androw,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

For clarification; Is the option to create a Bank Bill Pay transaction only missing when you try to initiate it from the account register, or from the Online Center as well?

Please check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    No Bank Bill Pay from the account register. I don't see an Online Center? Where is that? From the menu bar under Bill Pay, the pull down options are Pay with Quick Pay, Pay with Check Pay, Manage Payment Accounts and Learn About Bill Pay.
  • Quicken Anja
    I apologize, Online Center is found in Quicken for Windows, I just realized that you are on Quicken for Mac. My mistake.

Instead, while entering a transaction, could you please click Edit Details (located directly below the entry line) and navigate to the Bill Pay tab. Then, click on the Payment/Transfer dropdown menu to see if it will let you select the option for Bank Bill Pay there, or is the option greyed out (see below)?

Check back and let us know what you find! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    My screen looks just like your screen shot. Bank Bill Pay and Intrabank transfer are grayed out. However under Settings for the account Bank Bill Pay is enabled.
  • Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    I reset the account and after reset Bank Bill Pay was disabled and when I try to enable it it says that Chase doesn't support Bank Bill Pay
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Mark Androw, 

Thank you for your response and pardon the delay in ours. For this particular instance, I would recommend contacting your financial institution to ensure the enrollment of Bank Bill Pay. 

Hope this provides clarity. When you have a moment attempt to contact your financial institution and let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    I talked to Chase. They said Bank Bill Pay is enabled. (see attached) I reset the connection with Chase from Quicken and still no option to connect Bank Bill Pay.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

Next, if you don't mind, I'd like to try some further steps for testing purposes to see if we can get to the root of what may be causing this problem. Before we proceed, I do recommend that you save a backup first just in case you need to revert back to the current state of your data file.

Once you've saved a backup, please deactivate both accounts in your data file, then create a test file. Please follow the instructions found in this support article to create a new file (you can also use the same support article for instructions on how to switch back to your original file after testing).

Once you have created the test file, go ahead and add (only) the account that has not been working and attempt to see if Bank Bill Pay is functional inside the register. If it is not functional, then that will tell us that there is in fact an issue with this account and the connection being established for Bank Bill Pay.

However, if it does work, then go ahead and add the 2nd account to see whether or not the 2nd account is now (un)able to utilize Bank Bill Pay. Doing so will also allow us to determine whether or not Chase only allows one account to be connected and enabled for Bank Bill Pay at a time.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    I created a backup file and was unable to connect to Bank Bill Pay with Chase in either account. And back to the original file, I am unable to connect to Bank Bill Pay in either account. I can see that this points to the issue with Chase but I have called them repeatably and they say the account is flagged to connect with Quicken on their end. I even had them try to turn it off and on again and still have the same problem. On the Chase website it says my accounts are enabled for Quicken access.
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Verify that you are using Direct Connect with Chase rather than Quicken Connect. Direct Connect required for Bank Bill Pay.
  • Mark Androw
    Mark Androw Member ✭✭
    I think you solved the problem (sort of). I am connecting using Quicken Connect but I can't see to be able to change the connection type. When I go to Settings/Details/Change Connection type it just reconnects me as before. I tried deactivating and reactivating but it connects again as Quick Connect. I feel like the connection type is the solution just unable to change it. Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    When I go to Settings/Details/Change Connection type it just reconnects me as before. I tried deactivating and reactivating but it connects again as Quick Connect. I feel like the connection type is the solution just unable to change it. Thanks for your help.
    Instead of navigating through Settings, try deactivating the account then going through Accounts > New. From there, search for and select Chase, then click the grey Options button instead of Continue and see if it will give you the option to select Direct Connect. If successful, be sure to Link the account to the existing account you have set up in Quicken.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.