Failed to install... again

For the third month in a row, the latest update fails to install.  I received the error message: 

"The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w878\base\RPMMigration\MigrationTool.exe' because it is being used by another process."

I find no such .exe in the Task Manager each time this appears (so that I might "End Task" it).  Why am I getting this message?  Can I delete this file and will Quicken reinstall it with the update?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello @MattT

Thank you for providing more information. At the moment my suggestion would be to implement the Mondo Patch. Pardon the inconvenience this has caused. If your issue persists after attempting the steps for the Mondo Patch, please contact Quicken Support. An agent will be able to do further troubleshooting with you and screen share if desired/needed. 

For instructions on downloading and installing the Mondo Patch click here. To contact Quicken Support click here

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • Bill Neilan
    Bill Neilan Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I've had issues with Quicken Updates lately and the The MigrationTool.exe being in use. I also use Trend Micro. I read the above thread, disabled Trend Micro temporarily and the update succeeded. I wish the error message could have been more informative on the cause in the first place.
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    BK and Bill Neilan, thanks for your input.  First cause-specific answers I've seen.  I've already updated for current, so I'll try disabling the Trend Micro upon arrival of the next update.  There might also be a way to tell Trend to allow the MitagationTool.exe to be excluded from any AV protection.  I'll investigate and if so, I'll try that first; if that doesn't work, I'll try the "disable the app" approach.    Thanks!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock, yes, your proposed solution did get me the Aug'21 (R35.31) update.  We'll see if it works in September.
  • 58kopykat
    58kopykat Member ✭✭
    Sherlock - I did that and same issues at the next update. My Quicken hates automatic updates.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    58kopykat said:
    Sherlock - I did that and same issues at the next update. My Quicken hates automatic updates.
    Then, I suggest you don't allow Quicken to perform an automatic update.

My WAG is it is a race condition.  Perhaps an anti-virus, anti-malware, or backup process happens to have the referenced file locked at the moment the update attempts to access it.  Once the update has failed, it safest to perform a clean uninstall, install and update.
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Still will not update after suggested remedy by Sherlock in Sept, claiming MigrationTool.exe is being used by another process.  A clean uninstall, install and update was done as suggested in September.  Appears to be a one-time fix. 

I turned the computer on this a.m. and the first thing I did was open Quicken and it wanted to update, so I let it, but it failed again.  If the .exe is being used by another process, can it not be "ended" in Task Manager?  I don't find a file by that name in the listing.  Thank you.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Hello @MattT

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having this issue. Could you let us know if you have an antivirus software installed (apart from Windows Defender)? What version of Windows are you using? Lastly, do you have a VPN? 

Please provide further details so that we may move forward in diagnosing  the issue. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Paloma.  I am running Trend Micro Internet Security.  Have had it for several years; of course, that's not to say that some update to that application hasn't gotten in the way of Quicken updates.  The computer OS is W10, vers 21H1.  No VPN.

I started this thread in Sept (scroll to top).  The problem had started in May or June.  I was able to update during those months via some link (I don't recall) on the Quicken website.  As you seen in the messages above, in Sept I uninstalled Quicken, reinstalled and let it update, which it did successfully.  However, that appears to be a one time remedy and would find it really annoying if such operations were necessary every few weeks when a new update is released.

Thanks for any assistance.
  • Quicken Paloma
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello @MattT

Thank you for providing more information. At the moment my suggestion would be to implement the Mondo Patch. Pardon the inconvenience this has caused. If your issue persists after attempting the steps for the Mondo Patch, please contact Quicken Support. An agent will be able to do further troubleshooting with you and screen share if desired/needed. 

For instructions on downloading and installing the Mondo Patch click here. To contact Quicken Support click here

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Paloma, the Mondo Patch was successful.  That's great and all and I'll bookmark the url, but I don't see that this did anything to address the reason, whatever it is, the MigrationTool.exe file keeps getting "locked up" by "another process."  I suspect we'll have another chance to address the issue in a few weeks when the Nov or Dec update is released.

Thanks again!
    Cheers!
    Matt
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    @MattT , The MigrationTool.exe error is typically result of your specific Anti-Virus program blocking portion of the Quicken installation process - as others pointed out earlier.  The solution is to temporarily disable your AV before install/upgrade of Quicken.  If you perform a search of MigrationTool.exe on this community, you will find many posts where most were resolved by temporarily disabling the AV coupled with using the Mondo patch to upgrade.  Once completed, you can re-enable your AV.  Hope this tip helps for the future.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Bill Neilan
    Bill Neilan Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I've had issues with Quicken Updates lately and the The MigrationTool.exe being in use. I also use Trend Micro. I read the above thread, disabled Trend Micro temporarily and the update succeeded. I wish the error message could have been more informative on the cause in the first place.
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    BK and Bill Neilan, thanks for your input.  First cause-specific answers I've seen.  I've already updated for current, so I'll try disabling the Trend Micro upon arrival of the next update.  There might also be a way to tell Trend to allow the MitagationTool.exe to be excluded from any AV protection.  I'll investigate and if so, I'll try that first; if that doesn't work, I'll try the "disable the app" approach.    Thanks!
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    I opened Quicken today and an update was available (I just performed the Mondo Patch last week and thought that would have gotten everything...).  I turned off Trend Micro and the update worked.  I found an Exception List in Trend Micro I thought I could place the MigrationTool.exe into, however, upon searching the file location stated in the Quicken error message, the path was invalid.  In fact a search of the Quicken directory entirely found no MigrationTool.exe... a lot of other Migrationxxx.exe files, but not Tool.  So, not sure what's going on with Quicken, but disabling Trend Micro does in fact allow the app to update.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    MattT said:
    I opened Quicken today and an update was available (I just performed the Mondo Patch last week and thought that would have gotten everything...).  I turned off Trend Micro and the update worked.  I found an Exception List in Trend Micro I thought I could place the MigrationTool.exe into, however, upon searching the file location stated in the Quicken error message, the path was invalid.  In fact a search of the Quicken directory entirely found no MigrationTool.exe... a lot of other Migrationxxx.exe files, but not Tool.  So, not sure what's going on with Quicken, but disabling Trend Micro does in fact allow the app to update.
    Quicken just started pushing a new update this weekend: R36.38

The reason you are not able to set a file specific exception in Trend Micro is because the file only exists during the Quicken update. 
  • MattT
    MattT Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock: makes sense; good to know! TU