Investment Transaction entry without a ticker symbol

geophys314
geophys314 Member
I have a company 401K fund with investments that don't have ticker symbols. I am trying to enter a new transaction with a new Investment. I enter a "buy" order with the usual total cost, number of shares info. When I hit the save button I get a dialog box for a new security. I enter that it is a mutual fund and leave the symbol field blank. and I get an error that says "Missing security name securities must have a name" The security name is filled in but the symbol is blank so I suppose that this is the issue but I don't see how I can advance to getting the entry entered w/o this? I tired dummy symbol names with no luck. The account is not set up to do downloads.

I am using MacOS version 6.4.2

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I might be missing something in your description, but it should be easy to create securities with a dummy ticker symbol.

Here, I've gone to the Securities window, clicked on new, and created a fake security:

When I click Done, Quicken displays a warning that the Symbol isn't found:

When I click OK, Quicken creates the security.

Now, you can use this security by name in a Buy transaction. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Huh, thanks for helping. I tried this but when I got an error saying that the ticker could not be found I quick. All I needed to do was say OK to a manual update.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The fake security symbol isn't restricted to just 3 or 4 letters either. I had the same issue with 401K funds, and I just made the fund symbol the same as the fund name. No chance of it accidentally matching some other security.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.