Asset Allocation for Mac

Hi, In the past Quicken for Mac did not support asset allocation which was a deal breaker for me. I've found a couple of threads, such as this one: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7897718/asset-allocation-report-for-combined-accounts, which indicate that asset allocation is now available on the mac version.

I've been unable to find any quicken documentation that talks about the feature. Can anyone confirm that asset allocation is supported and is there feature parity for asset allocation with the windows version for things such as custom asset categories?

Thanks

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Dave W., 

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We apologize for the confusion. Since the 6.3 release an asset panel was added to the dashboard but it is not as customizable, as it is in Quicken for Windows. It is more of a simple overview in comparison.

Pardon the inconvenience, but if you feel inclined you can create an idea post. If the idea post gets enough votes then it could be submitted to our development team as a consideration for future releases. 

For instruction and more information regarding idea posts please visit the link below. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community 

Hope this helps. Let us know of any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • Dave W.
    Dave W. Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the reply Quicken Paloma. I've created the idea as you suggested. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7901017/asset-allocation/p1?new=1
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There's no need for a new Idea thread. There is an existing long-running Idea thread for asset allocation reports for Quicken Mac. Please add your votes in that thread.

Here's the bad news and god news about this. Clearly the developers are working on adding robust asset allocation functionality similar to Quicken Windows. In the 6.3 release, we saw this with he new Dashboard for asset allocation. Under the hood, it is pulling in data from Quickens supplier to accurately allocate mutual funds to multiple asset classes. Unfortunately, there's not yet any user interface to allow us to see what information it is pulling in, nor to edit it or enter it manually for securities Quicken can't download. This also broke some aspects of the asset allocation in the Portfolio view, because many securities are now counted as "mixed", the the Portfolio was not updated to use the same downloaded mix of asset classes used by the Dashboard.

The good news is the Quicken Mac product manager has said they are aware of these transitional issues, and will be working on them in upcoming releases. I suspect we'll see some changes in the next release, although it may take more than release for them to deliver all the functionality to match Quicken Windows. But it seems clear it's coming, and likely sooner than later. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Dave W.
    Dave W. Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the reply @jacobs. I've voted on the thread you referenced. Is there a way to ensure I am notified if asset allocation becomes available? I only check on this every year or two. I don't find Quicken's website very informative about what features the software actually has when it comes to something as specific as asset allocation. I wish they could just get to feature parity with windows and I could kick my windows emulator to the curb.
  • jacobs
    @Dave W. If you add a comment in the thread about asset allocation, you'll get notified every time tome odds a post. That's probably not what you're looking for. But you could bookmark that thread and check it every six months to see what has changed.

Probably more useful for you is to periodically skim the release notes for Quicken Mac periodically to see what new has been added; that web page gives a pretty good, plain-English, quick summary of features added or fixed. 

As for the speed of software development, yes, I think almost every Quicken Mac user would like them to be able to add a bunch of things which have remained on the wishlist for a long time. Only when I look back over something like the release notes do I realize that they actually have added a lot over the years, so I can feel somewhat good that progress is being made. But it's not being made at the speed we'd all wish for. And the list of requests from users is immense, so there's no certainty about what things are likely to come sooner versus later.
  • No matter how you identify your securities, Quicken now automatically jams most of them into "Asset Mixture." This makes even the basic asset allocation chart in the Investing Dashboard completely useless.
  • jacobs
    @Northbynortheast In the dashboard (but not in the portfolio view), Quicken downloads information about the make-up of your funds and assigns them to asset classes in the appropriate proportions. The only assets labeled as “mixed“ in the dashboard are ones for which it cannot download information about the security.

In any case, the developers need to deliver a few more pieces of the puzzle for asset allocation to be really useable. The product manager has acknowledged this, and has promised improvements in upcoming releases. Unfortunately, we don’t know how soon that will be — hopefully, it will be in the next release or two.
This discussion has been closed.