Is there a way to remove _401EmployerContrib from the Spend Tab's "Income" report?

The embedded _401EmplyerContrib category is provided by Quicken to automatically tag certain fields from a Paycheck. That category is listed under Income in the Category List. Because it is listed as an Income category, the chart on the Spend tab includes it in Income. Yet … a practical definition of “Income” for Income/Spend analysis would not include an employer contribution to a 401K account … it is not “Income” that is expendable.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to not include it in any day to day functional definition of “Income” when a graph/report is intended to show usable money coming in compare to actual expenditures going out (e.g., for budgeting purposes). The “Spend” tab is not an Investment tab or a Tax tab, so it should only consider accessible funds/expenses.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    When you look at just Income section it will show up there, but if you look at the spending section you will see that it is offset by a transfer to the 401K account.  So the net amount of the paycheck doesn't include it.

Personally I wouldn't use the Spending section for anything other than "drilling in".
    There are various things that use the Spending tab as the way to drill into the details, and as such it is "dynamically changed/filtered as needed" and isn't really suited to be a "report".

Both spending "widgets" on the Home tab use the Spending tab as a drill in view.

For detailed information about either income or expenses I would use a report or Home tab "widget" that can ben customized and left that way each time it comes up.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• ChasPro
    ChasPro Member ✭✭
    It is the "Spending" tab ...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To exclude the income from the Spending tab view, I suggest you enter the income in an account excluded from the view.  For example, instead of tracking the employer contribution to your 401K account in the paycheck, you could instead track the contribution as a deposit directly to your 401K account and exclude the 401K account in the Spending tab view.
  • ChasPro
    ChasPro Member ✭✭
    Why would I want to mess with how my Paycheck operates in Quicken ... there are too many benefits to using it that way. Is there a way to customize the Spending tab definition of Income? Many other reporting functions allow for category selection.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    ChasPro said:
    Why would I want to mess with how my Paycheck operates in Quicken ... there are too many benefits to using it that way. Is there a way to customize the Spending tab definition of Income? Many other reporting functions allow for category selection.
    There is no way to customize the Spending tab definition of Income.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    When you look at just Income section it will show up there, but if you look at the spending section you will see that it is offset by a transfer to the 401K account.  So the net amount of the paycheck doesn't include it.

Personally I wouldn't use the Spending section for anything other than "drilling in".
    There are various things that use the Spending tab as the way to drill into the details, and as such it is "dynamically changed/filtered as needed" and isn't really suited to be a "report".

Both spending "widgets" on the Home tab use the Spending tab as a drill in view.

For detailed information about either income or expenses I would use a report or Home tab "widget" that can ben customized and left that way each time it comes up.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ChasPro
    ChasPro Member ✭✭
    I added a product idea. Like most of Quicken ... too many views and too many ways to do something close to what you want ... but in the end, the simple capabilities from Quicken '84 are all that we can rely on. (Was there a Quicken '84??? ... probably not. ;)
This discussion has been closed.