Quicken account security text message - link gives error

Options
MontanaKarl
MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
First time ever I've gotten this phone  text message from Quicken after entering my QuickenID info upon request in Quicken Windows.

Text message says "Quicken alert: You've set up an account with this phone number. Please use this link to verify:"

Whether on my iPhone or any browser, the provided link to https://services.quicken.com/v/long-humber/long-number/0 gives an error message rather than acknowledging that I'm verifying the phone number:

Whitelabel Error Page

This application has no explicit mapping for /error, so you are seeing this as a fallback.

Tue Nov 02 00:44:54 GMT 2021
There was an unexpected error (type=Not Found, status=404).

This must be some new security feature that isn't debugged yet??

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

Comments

• Quicken Alyssa
    Options
    Hello @MontanaKarl,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and report this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

You are correct, this is a new feature we are currently trying to implement, and we have received the same result as you noticed yourself. 

We hope this hasn't caused you too much inconvenience, and appreciate your patience with us! This issue has been reported to development. 

Quicken Alyssa

• DiscoClark
    DiscoClark Member ✭✭
    Options
    Getting an unsolicited text out of literally nowhere with a link doesn't exactly inspire confidence - since they are almost always a scam. Perhaps this isn't the best strategy?
  • JJoe19
    JJoe19 Member
    Options
    I received the same text about 15 minutes ago after signing in on the phone app. Zero chance of me clicking that, and as mentioned above, it doesn't inspire confidence. Came from number (415) 384-9305. Why do I need to verify my phone number? I've had Quicken for a while now.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MarkParc
    MarkParc Member
    Options
    I got the same text message and decided to call the phone number that it came from. I got this recorded message: "thanks for the call, configure your number's voice URL to change this message, let us know if we can help you in any way during your development." And then it hung up on me. Apparently the developers didn't even take the time (10 minutes perhaps?) to create an appropriate voice message to give customers a little more confidence that this is not a scam.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello All,

Thank you for reaching taking the time to visit the Community.

Please refer to this support article for more information about the verification requests you received.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MontanaKarl
    Options

Please refer to this support article for more information about the verification requests you received.

Thanks, Anja ... while this explains the text message... it shows that Quicken Inc is clueless about how to manage security in 2021.

Any bank, credit card, etc that contacts someone by text assumes that some customers will be (rightly) skeptical of an unsolicited text message - and will then securely log directly into the company web site and view the message and take action there.

Quicken Inc should NOT be providing unsolicited verification links.  Instead, Quicken should send a text or email telling us to log into our Quicken Account and request a security code be sent to our phone and then enter that code on the Quicken Account site.  Ditto for email.

The approach being taken is pretty amateurish. (Especially when combined with nobody having tested the system to avoid web errors - and as MarkParc notes above, taking the time to set up the sending phone number to properly identify itself.)

• MontanaKarl
    edited November 2021
    Options
    PS. I just logged into my Quicken account at myaccount.quicken.com

Any other site - shopping, finance, airline, hotel, whatever - would have an "unverified" link next to my email and/or phone number that I could click on to initiate a verification process.  And, of course, it would say "verified" if that had already been done.

My Quicken "Sign In & Security" page has none of that ... which is just standard practice these days, vs the support article you linked to and/or sending text/email messages to us out of the blue.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the keyword here is "unsolicited".  If I have multiple factor authentication on or if I'm verifying my contact information then they post a message that says "We need to verify you, ... and select how to send it (if there are choices), and select submit to send it now."

It should never be I log in and all of a sudden I get a text message.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Daddio25
    Daddio25 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I too received an unexpected, unsolicited, text.

From phone number: (415) 650-4157
    Message: "Quicken alert: You've set up an account with this phone number. Please use this link to verify:"
    Link: https://services.quicken.com/v/...

With all the suspicious stuff going on these days there is not a chance that I am going to click that link.

I have had my Quicken account for years. I didn't just set one up. My previous login was in early October.

Shouldn't we get some kind of message in an email that this is coming so that we can expect it??
  • Gerald
    Gerald Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have just received a suspicious unsolicited phone text message from services.quicken.com stating that I had set up an account with this phone number (what is the phone number I supposedly set up?) and I should click on their link to verify it. REALLY! I blocked the sending phone number and reported it for scamming to my blocking app.
This discussion has been closed.