Updating Quicken with Mobile

I am leaving town for two weeks and I would like to have updates on my mobile device. How does one update without physical contact with computer/Quicken. Quicken always asks for password vault password.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What is going on when you turn on sync to Mobile/Web is that you sync a partial copy of your data to the "Quicken Cloud dataset (Quicken server)".

Mobile/Web are the "GUIs" to look at that data.  What's more the Quicken server along with the Intuit servers do download transaction from your financial institution into the Quicken Cloud dataset, so that you can see them even if you are currently downloading them with the Quicken Desktop.  You can also put in manual entries from the Mobile/Web that go into that Quicken cloud dataset.

When you get back to using Quicken Desktop top a sync between its data file and the Quicken could dataset, to bring it up to date.

One thing I would make sure of before going off on "mobile only" is that in fact all your accounts properly download from your financial institutions using from just the mobile app, and not just syncing from the Quicken Desktop data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We use a remote desktop client to access the Windows desktop where we maintain Quicken.  There are a variety of free implementations available.  If you're Windows and network savvy, I recommend Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  If you want simplicity, I recommend TeamViewer.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Actually I will state that I like @Sherlock's approach better because I don't trust sync to cloud to not corrupt my data file.  If that isn't possible what I would do if I needed this kind of access for an extended period of time, I would bring along a device is running Windows so that I can run Quicken from a copy of my data file.  And then copy it back when I got home.
    Signature:
  • DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help.
  • DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    Great advice. thanks for the help. I wonder if Quicken had ever thought of an included ability to do this?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    DrJ said:
    Great advice. thanks for the help. I wonder if Quicken had ever thought of an included ability to do this?
    They actually ran a beta where you would store your data file on a server that would allow using remote desktop of kind of access to work with it.

It never made it out of beta.  I think the main reason that is was such a failure is because they false advertised it, making it sound like they have a true "server Quicken" that would work like a mobile App or such (you know with the right size buttons and all on a phone), instead of just a Desktop program viewed remotely.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.