Costco Visa transactions incorrectly show cardmember last name as Payee (Q Mac)

GLinde
GLinde Member
I have a Costco Visa account, with two cards - one for me, and one for my wife. Those cards have different numbers.
Transactions for both cards download however all transactions from my wife's cards show her last name as the Payee.
If you drill down on the details of any of her card's transactions they clearly show the correct payee in the "Appears on your statement as ..." information.
All the transactions on my car correctly show the right payee.
This has been happening for several months now.
How can I/Quicken get this working properly?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GLinde

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. I would recommend checking the Quickfill rules and the saved Payee list just to ensure that the information is correct. If there is a Quickfill rule with incorrect information, that may be the reason as to why your wife's card shows her last name as the payee. 

To do this select Window >Payees & Rules. On this pop-up menu select the QuickFill Rules tab and select the affected Payee. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • GLinde
    GLinde Member
    Thanks for the prompt response!
    Unfortunately, there are no quickfill rules set up like that.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GLinde

Thank you for the additional detail. Could you let us know what connection method you are using for both accounts? 

To check the connection method being used select the affected account, then Settings >Downloads. 

Thanks!

-Quicken Paloma 
  • GLinde
    GLinde Member
    Direct Connect
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    Just to confirm: click on one of your wife's transactions and select View > Show Inspector. Look at the bottom portion of the Inspector list, and see what the "Statement Payee" shows. This is what is coming from the credit card company. If it has your wife's name, the problem is that they are exporting the data incorrectly; if it has the correct Payee name, the problem is Quicken.

You previously checked QuickFill rules, but this wouldn't be a QuickFill rule problem because QuickFill rules do not change the Payee name. Instead, it could be a Renaming rule problem. Please check the Payees & Rules window again, and click on the Renaming Rules tab.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • GLinde
    GLinde Member
    I'll have to wait for a new transaction to come through, as I've manually updated the existing transactions to reflect the vendor.
    I'm pretty sure the data is coming over correctly, as this only happens for her card # on the account and mine comes over just fine.
    I just checked the Renaming Rules tab, and there are none.
  • GLinde
    GLinde Member
    Just got a new transaction.
    The statement payee is correctly showing the merchant, however Quicken is showing my wife's name as the payee
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    So you're saying the transaction shows the Statement Payee correctly and Quicken is changing it to your wife's name -- and there are no renaming rules? Hmmm...

The only ways a Payee gets renamed are (a) local renaming rules and (b) server-based renaming rules. I can't see how their server rules would have your wife's name, so that seems unlikely. But you could try changing the setting in Quicken which turns server-based rules on and off: in Preferences > Connected Services, uncheck to the box for "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories". Try that and report back after the next transaction which downloads. 

If there are recurring Payees your wife purchases from, you could also try an experiment to build some local renaming rules. For instance, if she routinely buys from Amazon, you c old create a renaming rule like this: "If statement name contains 'Amazon' Do Not Rename" or "If statement name contains 'Amazon' Set Payee Name to 'Amazon' ". You shouldn't't need to do this for every purchase your wife makes, but experimenting with this might help get to the bottom of what's going on. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • GLinde
    GLinde Member
    I've unchecked that preference and will let you know.
    And as I started looking at renaming, I do in fact see an Amazon purchase from her on the same day as the one with her name as the payee - and the Amazon purchase correctly lists Amazon as both the the payee, with a statement payee of "Amazon.com*KN58Q75X3".
    I went back to the Payee & Rules dialog and do not see that listed even under the Payee tab. There is an entry for Amazon.com with 1 use (for a transaction on 2/17/20) and 0 rules.
    Does that help?
  • Hello @GLinde,

Thank you for choosing to come to the Community with your questions and concerns, though I apologize that you have not found a resolution yet.

Can I have you open a new file and add your wife's account there? This should help us narrow down whether or not the issue you are experiencing is stemming from something in your original file or not. 

To do this;
    1. Go to File.
    2. Click on New.
    3. Select Start from scratch and click Next.
    4. Click Next again.
    5. Add the account. 

Are you still seeing the same issue with the payee names?

Quicken Alyssa
  • GLinde
    GLinde Member
    The account has cards for both me and my wife, and I do not think I can add just for her.
    Can you confirm you want me to add the account for both cards?
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I have separate Costco Visa cards through Citi.  The account numbers on the card are the exact same.  As are the expiration date and the CVV code.  

Are you saying you and your wife's cards have different credit card numbers?  I find that almost next to impossible to have occurred. 
  • GLinde
    GLinde Member
    That’s exactly how the Costco Visa account is set up.
    I’d never seen it before also and was a bit surprised however I do like it. If one loses the card the other is still usable until we can get a replacement.
This discussion has been closed.