Quicken has stopped downloading ETRADE Checking transactions - why?

Hi,

I've been using Quicken for many years across a range of banking and investment accounts.
All of sudden in the past week, Quicken has stopped downloading transactions from one specific account - my ETRADE checking account.

No errors are reported during the update, it just says 0 transactions were downloaded. However, I can see new transactions when I view the account directly online at ETRADE. Other accounts - both ETRADE and elsewhere - continue to update as normal.

I've been through Quicken support and a multitude of disabling and reenabling the account, validating the Quicken file (no major issues) without success. Creating a new ETRADE account and downloading brings in the new transactions, but relinking with the existing account does not.

Quicken support gave up and basically told me I need to create a new account, which I find an unacceptable resolution for a service for which I am paying a substantial amount each year. I'm hoping an expert here can give me a more satisfactory resolution. I'm reasonably technical and happy to edit text or even binary files, I just need to know where to look...

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well there are couple of things I would suggest.
    First off since this is Express Web Connect and similar things have been suggested for other financial institutions using it seems that sometimes the sync to the Quicken cloud dataset gets messed up and logging out and back in helps.
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Sign in as a different user (log back in with the same Quicken ID).

If that doesn't get it than the suggestion the Quicken Support made may in fact be the best idea, but adding that it doesn't have to be as disruptive as you might think.

What you do is deactivate the account for downloading.  Create a new account and set it up for downloading.  Then use this procedure to move the transactions from missing transactions from the old account to the new one.  And then delete the old account:
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SlaughterhouseV

Can you please confirm the connection method for the problem ETrade account - is it Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, or Web Connect (this last one is not likely) and also, can you confirm that you are not getting any error codes?

When Quicken Support had you successfully connect by "Creating a new ETRADE account and downloading" was that within your current datafile or by using a brand new datafile with only that one account?

Just trying to get the lay of the land here.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Thanks @Chris_QPW and @Frankx for the comments.
    Taking them in order.

[Logging out and back in]
    Interestingly, this DID result in One Step Update fetching "8 new transactions" from the ETRADE Checking account (in the update summary screen). However, these transactions don't show up in the downloaded transactions or anywhere else I can find for review - which does make me think there is something about this account that is borked.

[Create new account and move transactions]
    I'll try this as a last resort, thanks! I have over 6 years of history on this account so I'm anxious to avoid hours of clicking in the already maddeningly unresponsive UI...

[Connection method]
    Express web connect

[Error codes]
    Confirmed no error code - the update summary is a sea of green

[Quicken support]
    Yes, creating the new account at support's request was done within my *existing* datafile
  • SlaughterhouseV
    SlaughterhouseV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    @Chris_QPW interestingly, the log out and log back in approach is repeatable. I can log out, log back in, one step update, and see "8 new transactions" to inspect in my ETRADE Checking account. But they are nowhere to be seen, the downloaded transactions section is empty, I have no means to accept them etc. (Quicken is set to not automatically add transactions to banking registers)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    See if they are in the Online Center.
    Tools -> Online Center, select E*Trade, if they are there select the Compare to Register...

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    [Create new account and move transactions]
    I'll try this as a last resort, thanks! I have over 6 years of history on this account so I'm anxious to avoid hours of clicking in the already maddeningly unresponsive UI...

That procedure should avoid having to click on a lot of prompts.  In reality you should be able to just use the Move Transactions, but they have never fixed the problem that if the transactions are reconciled you will have to confirm every single transaction moved!  The workaround is to us copy instead or to first change all the reconciled transactions to cleared, move them and then set them back to reconciled.
    Signature:
  • @Chris_QPW nope, they're not in the Online Center...
    It is quite frustrating - I can click on the little red flag that says I have 8 transactions to review (after log out, log in, update), but when I select to review them it takes me to the account register, with nothing in the downloaded transactions area... So near, and yet so far :)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well about the only thing left in this article is restore from a backup or try Validate and Repair:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-says-there-are-transactions-accept-i-do-not-see-any
    Signature:
  • Restoring from a 10 day old backup remedied the issue. Thanks for all the help
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That is great news!
    Signature:
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SlaughterhouseV

Glad to hear things worked out for you, but a daily backup is even a better remedy.  ;)

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• @Frankx I make regular backups - every other day works for me - but I had to regress past the point at which the file got corrupted which was over a week ago. Unfortunately I hadn't spotted that the one account was not downloading new transactions for several days...
  • Autumns Boy
    Autumns Boy Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. I have 2 Etrade investment accounts and 2 bank accounts all under the same sign in, but the 2 back accounts have stopped automatically uploading transactions going back about 2 weeks now. I have able to get the transactions added to Quicken by manually downloading from the accounts from within Etrade. How do I resolve the issue without having to restore a file from 2 or more weeks ago?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Autumns Boy

What method are you using to download for the bank accounts?  Also, when you perform the automatic download, do you get a message saying that transactions were downloaded, and/or do you get an error code (if so - which one)?

Frankx

• @Autumns Boy FWIW I noticed that even after regressing to a backup and seeming to fix the problem, the issue re-occurred within a day. However, I am happy to report that the issue now really *does* appear to have gone away - I have updated correctly, without any need to reset or change anything, for three days in a row. This makes me wonder whether the root issue was actually not with Quicken but with the ETRADE banking backend... I note that they're about to merge banking systems with Morgan Stanley, I wonder whether some behind the scenes changes in support of this broke things temporarily?
  • My E*TRADE brokerage account was supposedly downloaded but it's showing a zero balance. No transactions are showing up. I have spent the good part of my day on the phone with customer service from both E*TRADE and Quicken. I'm very frustrated and want a refund. Nobody knows how to fix this. If anyone can direct me to how to obtain a refund please let me know. I wanna service for 24 hours (but a long & frustrating 24 hours at that).
This discussion has been closed.