Why do accounts that have transactions show in the categories list as "unused?"

I'm trying to clean up and improve my categories list for purposes of tax planning (I've been using Q for decades and originally thought my categories made more sense - I'm rethinking that).

I know I can hide it, but why would an account that holds transactions (old ones only) show up in the categories list as a transfer category (that's not the question, I understand this part), but show up as "unused," with 0 usage?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Tagged:

Answers

• Hello @EmKay,

Thank you for choosing to come to the Community with your questions and concerns. 

Categories that show "Unused" in the category list, show that way because they are not currently used on any transactions.

When I pulled up your account information, I could not find an active Quicken subscription. If you are still using the 2017 version, it is no longer supported, so we won't have any good explanations or troubleshooting suggestions for odd behaviors you see in it. 

I do apologize if this is the case, but you can go to Quicken.com to compare plans and even purchase a new Quicken subscription. Your current data file (if it is 2017) will convert into the new software easily. 

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Quicken Alyssa
  • EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Alyssa, I have an active Quicken subscription, I just don't log into the communities with that email address.

You say, "Categories that show "Unused" in the category list, show that way because they are not currently used on any transactions."  I understand that, but the account/category does, in my case, hold transactions.  That's why I'm confused.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    EmKay said:
    I'm trying to clean up and improve my categories list for purposes of tax planning (I've been using Q for decades and originally thought my categories made more sense - I'm rethinking that).

I know I can hide it, but why would an account that holds transactions (old ones only) show up in the categories list as a transfer category (that's not the question, I understand this part), but show up as "unused," with 0 usage?
    An account may have transactions but the category referencing the account may be unused.

The category referencing an account is used in transactions to transfer funds to an account.  There is no reason a category referencing an account need be used.
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    edited November 2021
    Hello again, @EmKay,

Thank you for that update. 

If the category is in fact in use and is not displaying that in the Category List, that is strange indeed. I would make sure that you aren't using a similar category or a subcategory on those transactions.

My transfer categories do show usage.

Can I have you try deleting one of your old transactions and then re-enter it the same way? Once you have done that, check to see if it now shows the category as "1" under usage.

Let us know how this goes.

Quicken Alyssa
This discussion has been closed.