Moving a file from another user's computer to my computer

Options
My mother's financial records are on her computer running Windows 10 using Quicken 2015. My computer is also running Windows 10 and I have the Updated Subscription version of Quicken. I have been doing her books for years, she did not use the online features and as such her version of Quicken was adequate to maintain a register to produce reports for her tax reporting. She is now in a nursing home with dementia. I made a copy of her data file on a thumb drive and saved it to my hard drive. Her file was originally saved with her Quicken user name and password. I spent a very long time with the Quicken Virtual assistant telling me how to open her file on my computer. They said to use her original email and password but it does not work. Just goes into a loop and says to try later. That was the recommendation of the Virtual Assistant. Just wait an hour and keep trying. That is NOT the solution! Obviously my Quicken program on my computer is tied to my email and password. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance. I haven't yet tried to call customer support as the number is not listed on the website.

Best Answer

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Lnye ,

Go to http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2015-patches.html on her computer and download the latest Mondo Patch for Quicken 2015.

Once downloaded and saved, right-click on the Installer and click Run as administrator to update the Quicken program on her computer.

Now back up her latest Data File, by running Manual Backup. Restore the Manual Backup, using your copy of Quicken.

Where it asks for your Mother's password, click on Sign in as a different user. and on the Pop up Window, type in Yes to Sign Out.
    Now simply Sign in using your Credentials. Make sure to rename the Restored File, using your mother's First Name and say 2021. For Example: Janet 2021. It will make it easier to find your Mother's Data File.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suggest you reset the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file.  
    1. Select Edit > Preferences...
    2. Select Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    3. Select Sign in as a different user
    4. Enter yes 
    5. Select Sign Out
    6. Sign in with the your Quicken ID.
    Note: You should be able to cancel through the Quicken ID password prompts to open the Quicken file.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Lnye ,

Go to http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2015-patches.html on her computer and download the latest Mondo Patch for Quicken 2015.

Once downloaded and saved, right-click on the Installer and click Run as administrator to update the Quicken program on her computer.

Now back up her latest Data File, by running Manual Backup. Restore the Manual Backup, using your copy of Quicken.

Where it asks for your Mother's password, click on Sign in as a different user. and on the Pop up Window, type in Yes to Sign Out.
    Now simply Sign in using your Credentials. Make sure to rename the Restored File, using your mother's First Name and say 2021. For Example: Janet 2021. It will make it easier to find your Mother's Data File.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Lnye
    Lnye Member ✭✭
    Options
    I would need to do this on my mother's computer with the older version of quicken? It did not work on mine. I tried to open the file using my credentials, and got the message OOPS something went wrong. Unable to contact server, try again. later.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Lnye said:
    I would need to do this on my mother's computer with the older version of quicken? It did not work on mine. I tried to open the file using my credentials, and got the message OOPS something went wrong. Unable to contact server, try again. later.
    You should be able to open the Quicken 2015 file on your machine using the Quicken Subscription program.  After the Quicken file is open, you should be able to reset the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file as described.
  • Lnye
    Lnye Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the instructions. I will try downloading and applying the Mondo patch to my Mother's computer when I travel there next week. Thank you for all the help! I will update with hopefully a successful ending to my problems!
  • Lnye
    Lnye Member ✭✭
    Options
    I followed the steps provided by thecreator on November 11 and successfully was able to open my mother's file on my computer with the subscription version of Quicken. Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.