Does anyone know how to track Ethereum using online quote updates???

Alan2
Alan2 Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Is there a ethereum symbol that Quicken recognizes?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Alan2 said:

Here are eight:

INDEX:ETH5RP
    INDEX:ETH20RP
    INDEX:ETH50RP
    INDEX:ETH100RP
    INDEX:ETH200RP
    INDEX:ETH400RP
    INDEX:NQETH
    INDEX:NQETHS

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Alan2 said:
    I was looking for an index that Quicken recognizes and will update the price of my Ethereum in Quicken.
    Quicken does recognize these indexes and prices do download.  I remember someone else in this forum saying they used a crypto index as a they would a stock (edited the security so the type is a "stock" and the asset class is "other").  Then he would enter buys of the crypto against that crypto index and when new prices get downloaded the market value of those holdings also updated.
    I am not a crypto guy so I don't really understand what the differences are between these indexes but maybe you do and can determine which index might be most applicable for your situation.   I just now did a limited test of this concept and it seems to work.  Maybe there is something that doesn't work quite right with this process but I did not see it except that each time I entered a new buy of it Quicken would say it created a new index.  Yet when I look into it further there is only 1 index for it in the security list.  You might want to try it and see if it will meet your needs.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Alan2 said:
    I have not been able to find a single index that I can put into Quicken that will download Ethereum pricing when I hit update online quotes....
    Below is one of the indexes I set up in my test file on 11/9 showing data as of 11/9 and also after updating the quotes today.  It works but for me it only worked by downloading the quotes from my brokerage (Fidelity Investments) and not from Quicken's quotes provider. 
    • PRICE HISTORY:
    • MARKET VALUE:
    The prices and market value changes show up everywhere else that they should be showing up, such as in the brokerage Account Register and in the Portfolio view.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Cryptocurrencies are not yet supported by Quicken but that support is planned (although there is no ETA for it):  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7555856/track-bitcoin-btc-and-other-cryptocurrency-accounts-in-quicken-45-legacy-votes-3-merged/p1.
    Until then, what some are doing is to set up a manual symbol and enter manual transactions and quotes.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Alan2 said:

Here are eight:

INDEX:ETH5RP
    INDEX:ETH20RP
    INDEX:ETH50RP
    INDEX:ETH100RP
    INDEX:ETH200RP
    INDEX:ETH400RP
    INDEX:NQETH
    INDEX:NQETHS

• Alan2
    Alan2 Member ✭✭
    I was looking for an index that Quicken recognizes and will update the price of my Ethereum in Quicken.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Alan2 said:
    Quicken does recognize these indexes and prices do download.  I remember someone else in this forum saying they used a crypto index as a they would a stock (edited the security so the type is a "stock" and the asset class is "other").  Then he would enter buys of the crypto against that crypto index and when new prices get downloaded the market value of those holdings also updated.
    I am not a crypto guy so I don't really understand what the differences are between these indexes but maybe you do and can determine which index might be most applicable for your situation.   I just now did a limited test of this concept and it seems to work.  Maybe there is something that doesn't work quite right with this process but I did not see it except that each time I entered a new buy of it Quicken would say it created a new index.  Yet when I look into it further there is only 1 index for it in the security list.  You might want to try it and see if it will meet your needs.

• Alan2
    Alan2 Member ✭✭
    I have not been able to find a single index that I can put into Quicken that will download Ethereum pricing when I hit update online quotes....
  • Boatnmaniac
    Alan2 said:
    Below is one of the indexes I set up in my test file on 11/9 showing data as of 11/9 and also after updating the quotes today.  It works but for me it only worked by downloading the quotes from my brokerage (Fidelity Investments) and not from Quicken's quotes provider. 
    • PRICE HISTORY:
    • MARKET VALUE:
    The prices and market value changes show up everywhere else that they should be showing up, such as in the brokerage Account Register and in the Portfolio view.

• Alan2 recommendation on updating ethereum worked the very first time. I been letting it sit since I bought it in 2017.....Thank you!
  • dave344
    dave344 Member ✭✭✭
    I am able to download quotes for Bitcoin and Ethereum using the codes INDEX:NYXBT and INDEX:NQETH symbols. See attached image of how they are configured in "Security Details" in Quicken. I created a special type called "Cyber" to manage these securities.

Previously Sherlock provided eight separate codes for Ethereum which include the one I am using (#7). I'm not sure what the distinction is among these symbols although I believe the INDEX:NQETHS is the quote for the settlement price and INDEX:NQETH is the quotes for the most recent price.

Note that while these symbols will retrieve a price, I have yet to be able to set up a crypto broker online in Quicken so that I can download transactions. I use PayPal Crypto and Coinbase as my brokers. I am not an active trader so I just manually enter the transactions directly into the register.

Dave
  • bytre
    bytre Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for this!
This discussion has been closed.