AT&T online billing snafu

Hi Folks, I upgraded my apple watch this weekend, and my online billing in quicken went into error mode. When I tried to fix it, it asks my for user id, password, then to choose a number to send a code. However, the number it gives is not my mobile number but rather my apple watch id assigned by at&t. Therefore the code goes into vapor. Any ideas? I went to the at&t site and it still shows my iphone number as the one to send codes to.

Answers

• Hello @Chris Ingoldsby,

Thank you for choosing to come to the Community with your questions and concerns, though I apologize for the delayed response. 

Can I have you open a web browser and go to Quicken.com. From there you can log in to the My Account page. Once you are there, please check under Sign In & Security to see what you have under Phone Number. 

Let us know what you find there, thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

• Chris Ingoldsby
    Chris Ingoldsby Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Alyssa, it shows my correct mobile phone number (not the watch id).
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    edited November 2021
    Hello again @Chris Ingoldsby,

Thank you for the update! 

Unfortunately, the MFA request comes directly from the biller itself. So if the only choice provided is not one you can successfully use you will have to contact the biller directly. 

I apologize that we can't help you any further from our end on this. 

Quicken Alyssa

• Chris Ingoldsby
    Chris Ingoldsby Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Alyssa. When I go to AT&T, they give me a choice of which device to choose for MFA. On the quicken bill set up, it shows a drop down, but only gives one choice (the watch). Could this be a limitation or coding issue on the Quicken side? Thanks, Chris
  • I'm having the same issue. The list of devices AT&T provides incudes y iPhone. I choose it and get the verification code on it. However, when I type it on the Quicken screen and submit, I get an error back saying AT&T can't validate the code as it is wrong or has expired. It won't stop doing it forever.
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Quicken Alyssa Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    @Chris Ingoldsby,

Sorry for the delayed response, I did not get alerted when you commented. 

The answer is Quicken has no control over this at all. Is the software currently capable of listing the watch... I'm not sure how it would be different than any other options listed and I am not aware of any other users reporting this issue.

I do hope that you were able to resolve this. If not, I would try removing the watch as an option from the bank's side and see if you can then get past this issue. 

Quicken Alyssa

• @jjfonseca,

Your issue seems to be slightly different than the OP's. 

Are you also using an apple watch? Based on your comment, it looks like you are having this issue using an iPhone, I just wanted to clarify that part. 

First, I would suggest deleting the thread of messages that you are getting with the MFA codes. Try adding the biller again and provide the code when it is received. This will ensure that you are entering the most recently sent code. 

If you still get the message that the code has expired, you will need to contact the biller directly. These MFA prompts come directly from the biller and Quicken has no access to this process from our end. 

Do let us know if the steps work or what the biller has you do to resolve it. 

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

This discussion has been closed.