Resynching Charles Schwab Accounts Leads to 17 months of transactions being downloaded

I have been trying to re-authorize my accounts and I can get it done, but every time it downloads transactions going to July of 2020. Reconciled transactions are now unreconciled and I don't know what to do. I have 6 accounts like this now and if I have to manually go in and clean this up my wife will hear me crying for the next 6 weeks. Any thoughts suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have not accepted anything yet, so I will monitor for suggestions. I can also restore a backup from a few weeks ago if I need to start over again with this reauthorization mess.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've previously suggested, deactivating the Online Services of the Schwab accounts and maintaining the accounts manually until the dust settles.  When you are ready to push ahead, I suggest you create new Schwab account registers, delete the imported transactions you don't want to keep, move the transactions from the original account registers to the new account registers, reset the payees and reminders referencing the original registers, and then delete the original registers.

Before making significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock do you know if Intuit is generating the unique Ids?

If so, I would imagine the same old problem where Intuit is using a "seed number" if you reset or deactivate/reactive you will get new unique Ids, and as such get duplicate transactions again, applies here too.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Sherlock do you know if Intuit is generating the unique Ids?

If so, I would imagine the same old problem where Intuit is using a "seed number" if you reset or deactivate/reactive you will get new unique Ids, and as such get duplicate transactions again, applies here too.
    I don't know if the new FITID is being generated by Intuit or Schwab or if Intuit will reset a seed.

As you well know, the way Intuit handles financial institutions varies.  I would hope the proprietary API Schwab provided to the aggregating services would provide a stable unique transaction identifier and that Intuit would actually use it.
  • Steven Green
    Steven Green Member ✭✭
    Finally got the download from Schwab to work yesterday and on 5 accounts in Quicken, it downloaded over 5000 transactions going back to mid-2020. I spent all day deleting bogus transactions before accepting the downloaded ones (many were "Match" that did not affect my transaction register). Everything SEEMED to be working. But today (Thu 25 Nov.), there was no error message on the Schwab download but investment trades (buys and sells) executed yesterday did not download although I now had multiple error messages and no downloads on other accounts I have (via Pershing, TIAA-CREF, Fidelity). I reactivated those to sync with the Quicken accounts then downloads on those non-Schwab were successful but Schwab still did not show new transactions. Obviously there are still multiple problems remaining resolution by the apparently less-than-competent and certainly unresponsive IT folks at Quicken and perhaps at Schwab as well. Quicken Prermier (Windows) R37.25 on latest version of Windows 10.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, when switching between different connection types getting duplicate transactions is expected.  The reason is because that the unique Id that Quicken uses to determine that it has already downloaded a given transaction changes.  The same would be true if a new account is created.
    Signature:
  • ClayCalhoun
    ClayCalhoun Member ✭✭
    When will Quicken have this issue resolved? Can't get a straight answer out of anyone on the phone.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    When will Quicken have this issue resolved? Can't get a straight answer out of anyone on the phone.
    The initial duplicate import should be a one-time event triggered by the change of Schwab's FITID algorithm.  This issue has and will always exist in Quicken.  It may occur more frequently with the Express Web Connect connection method and may be more frustrating to manage for investment accounts with large histories.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Sherlock said:
    I've previously suggested, deactivating the Online Services of the Schwab accounts and maintaining the accounts manually until the dust settles.  When you are ready to push ahead, I suggest you create new Schwab account registers, delete the imported transactions you don't want to keep, move the transactions from the original account registers to the new account registers, reset the payees and reminders referencing the original registers, and then delete the original registers.
    I've been sitting - since 11/16/21 - and not downloading any Schwab via OSU.
    After the dust settles, maybe this week, I'll try running the gauntlet.....
    download the "latest" suggested release of Quicken,
    and authorize Schwab for Quicken downloading.
    Then - as you have suggested.... 
    - download Schwab activity into NEW Quicken accounts..... will probably go back to July 2020.
    - delete all transactions prior to around 11/16 - or my last real world Schwab activity... how to do in mass ?
    - copy ALL of the transactions from the old Schwab accounts.....   how to do in mass ?
    - see how things look, if shares balance, also review linked checking account, etc
    - hope for the best ....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• FBG007
    FBG007 Member
    I reconciled 2 of my checking accounts and have 4 investment accounts to go. It has taken the better part of this whole weekend. I will work on the investment accounts next weekend. I had to reconcile form July 2020 forward.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And interesting idea was suggested here that might help with the duplicate transactions (but you will have to start over).
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20218768
    Signature:
  • FBG007
    FBG007 Member
    I was finally able to re-synch everything through just brute force and reconciling all my accounts by hand. What a terrible waste of time. I appreciate all the suggestions. I hope everyone else found resolutions.
This discussion has been closed.