I need help. I am finding huge discrepancies in my account balances and net worth reports.

Depending on the date ranges I use sometimes the first interval is too large (anywhere from 2 to more than 10 times too big). If I change the date range a little the discrepancy move to the new first interval. This occurs running both account balance and net worth reports, however, the bar graphs all seems to be accurate, it is the printed amounts that are off. For instance, right now I am looking at my home displaying net worth for 1/2020 to 4/2021. The 1/2020 bar appears correct, but the printed value for one year ago is way higher than the bar graph (and register) show. Is there a way to "fix" an account, or???

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say "home displaying net worth" is that the value of your house, or something that displays on your Home page?

Which bar graphs are accurate - the ones that that you can show along with the reports, or ones you see someplace else? If elsewhere, where are you going to see these graphs?

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• kleinm69
    kleinm69 Member ✭✭
    I should have done that right away. I see now that the incorrect amount is the starting amount on the report, which doesn't have a bar display, but ruins the rate of return calculations.
  • kleinm69
    kleinm69 Member ✭✭
    Jim_Harman Jim, sorry, I thought I answered your questions, but I guess I never posted it correctly. Home means home screen. As I answered UKR, I now see that the bars are all correct, but the incorrect value is a starting amount (a way incorrect amount) that does not have it's own bar.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the money and run! :wink:
    Is it possible that an incorrect price quote was downloaded for one or more of the securities held in your IRA? Check the price history for those securities and delete any wrong quotes.

• kleinm69
    kleinm69 Member ✭✭
    I'm trying to look into that, but the thing is, it isn't consistent. If I run the same report for January and February it moves the mystery fortune to the beginning balance of that report.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Categories for the reports, make sure "No category (includes cash)" is selected. You may get very odd results if not.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @kleinm69

I believe that your datafile may be corrupted, and would therefore suggest that you validate your Quicken datafile.  Before you do that make sure that you backup your datafile first.  Here's a link to the instructions on the Validate and Repair process LINK - just skip the first steps and page down to "Fourth, Copy your file and Validate" for the instructions.

After you finish Validating the file - run the report again and let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• kleinm69
    kleinm69 Member ✭✭
    I tried the validation, up to but not including deleting and rebuilding. I don't want to lose the data older than five years. No change to the problem. Thanks anyway guys
This discussion has been closed.