Reinstalling Expired Quicken?

Martlock
Martlock Member ✭✭
Is it possible to download and install and use the version of Quicken I was using before it expired? Someone at my local Staples told me I should be able to do so, and I thought, by reading on the Quicken website, that this was possible, but upon downloading it, I get the error that I've exceeded the maximum number of databases, and the information on that error seems to be saying that if I get this error, the only way to fix it is to buy the newest version.

The situation is that I've gotten a new computer and I simply wanted to reinstall Quicken and then run the back up file I have and keep on truckin'......but do I now need to purchase a new version?? Is there no way to simply reinstall what I've already paid for, do the back up and move on?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In theory it should be possible.  And the moderators have said that even if your subscription has lapsed you should be able to get Quicken support to clear out the dataset error.

But here is the official page and reinstalling for an expired subscription:
    Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired | Quicken

But I will warn you that it has already been found that this "reverse patching" doesn't always work.
    It is one thing to patch an older version of Quicken to a newer one but going backwards isn't guaranteed to work.  I one has version of the Quicken install before the version that they expired on and installs that with their Internet turned off and then install a patch from the above article it should work.  But if all they, have it the newest Quicken install, all bets are off.

Also note that from what I have seen the dataset error can be caused by "reverse patching".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    Yes, as I mentioned in my post, I saw that information about that error. However, another page said that it was possible to do this. So which one is correct?
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    Here is the other page:

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > In theory it should be possible.  And the moderators have said that even if your subscription has lapsed you should be able to get Quicken support to clear out the dataset error.
    >
    > But here is the official page and reinstalling for an expired subscription:
    > Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired | Quicken
    >
    > But I will warn you that it has already been found that this "reverse patching" doesn't always work.
    > It is one thing to patch an older version of Quicken to a newer one but going backwards isn't guaranteed to work.  I one has version of the Quicken install before the version that they expired on and installs that with their Internet turned off and then install a patch from the above article it should work.  But if all they, have it the newest Quicken install, all bets are off.
    >
    > Also note that from what I have seen the dataset error can be caused by "reverse patching".

It would not even let me get as far as patching or whatever. As soon as I clicked on the Quicken icon, I got that message.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Martlock said:

It would not even let me get as far as patching or whatever. As soon as I clicked on the Quicken icon, I got that message.
    Installing with your Network connection disabled, might get you a bit farther.  But frankly the whole process is messed up.
    Signature:
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Installing with your Network connection disabled, might get you a bit farther.  But frankly the whole process is messed up.

Yeah.....tried that too, lol. So, it seems I may just have to purchase another subscription? If I do so, will I still be able to load the backup file from the old one and it will work? I cannot lose all the accounting info that dates back 8 years. The last subscription I bought expired January 1, 2020
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well personally I think I would try getting Quicken Support to clear the dataset error and see how far you can get after that.  Like I said, the moderators have stated that Quicken Support is suppose delete datasets for you to clear that problem even if the subscription has lapsed.  If they refuse post back and we can flag the moderators to look into it.

But to answer your question, most likely renewing the subscription should fix the problem, but there isn't really any way to know if you will still have to contact Quicken Support or not to get that dataset error cleared, so you might as well talk to them first.
    Signature:
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Well personally I think I would try getting Quicken Support to clear the dataset error and see how far you can get after that.  Like I said, the moderators have stated that Quicken Support is suppose delete datasets for you to clear that problem even if the subscription has lapsed.  If they refuse post back and we can flag the moderators to look into it.
    >
    > But to answer your question, most likely renewing the subscription should fix the problem, but there isn't really any way to know if you will still have to contact Quicken Support or not to get that dataset error cleared, so you might as well talk to them first.

Thank you. I will do that.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You exceed the dataset limit when you do the restore, try renaming the extension of a copy of the backup file from .QDF-backup to .QDF and just open the data.  If this works, it means that you can never so a restore, but do the rename of a copy in the future.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > You exceed the dataset limit when you do the restore, try renaming the extension of a copy of the backup file from .QDF-backup to .QDF and just open the data.  If this works, it means that you can never so a restore, but do the rename of a copy in the future.

Unfortunately, should this be how I need to do backups, I can see this being a problem in the future, should someone other than me need to run a backup.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be honest.  I've NEVER used the Quicken backup feature, as there was a problem way back in the early 2000's with it.

I use Windows Explorer to COPY and PASTE the original .qdf file to different locations...another folder on my hard drive, an external drive and Dropbox.

"Restoring" is the same process, just in reverse.  

Works fine and I avoid any of the exceeded data set errors.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Martlock said:
    > @splasher said:
    > You exceed the dataset limit when you do the restore, try renaming the extension of a copy of the backup file from .QDF-backup to .QDF and just open the data.  If this works, it means that you can never so a restore, but do the rename of a copy in the future.

Unfortunately, should this be how I need to do backups, I can see this being a problem in the future, should someone other than me need to run a backup.
    Backing up using the Quicken Backup process isn't the problem.  The problem is the restore.
    It seems that every time you do a restore Quicken creates a new Quicken cloud data set, and there is a limited amount of them.  On the other hand, you can "restore" just as @splasher by copying the .QDF-backup to where you want to use it and renaming it to .QDF and then opening it.  Unlike when you use Quicken's restore this doesn't create a new Quicken cloud data set, and as such avoids the problem.

But I will also state that in this case I don't think the problem had anything to do with restoring from a backup.  In my testing I install old versions stuff a lot and I never use Backup and Restore; I just copy data files, and I have run into this problem especially testing expired licenses.  I have no idea why this would trigger the max data set error, but it does sometimes.
    Signature:
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the info so far.

A couple of things.....I can't remember the last time I've actually done a restore on my Quicken. I make back ups weekly and keep only the most recent two, JUST IN CASE, but I've never (maybe once, several years ago), ever needed to do a restore. Unless this error can just accidently be triggered?

I am not under standing what is being meant by the reference to copying and pasting a data file. I've never done that with Quicken. If I am understanding this reference correctly, I may have done something similar with other programs, I think. Would someone give me step by step instructions? Would this get me up and running on the new machine, or will I still have to call tech support Monday to get that error resolved, regardless?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    As I suspected, you "restoring too much" can't be the cause of this problem.
    I believe the problem was in fact triggered by the reinstall with an expired subscription.  Something that shouldn't trigger this problem, but I have seen it happen myself.

Here are the steps I would try.
    First patch Quicken to a version older than January 1, 2020.  You can find the patch here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

If that doesn't clear the data set error, contact Quicken support and have them try deleting the Quicken cloud data set.  Hopefully that will fix the problem.
    http://quicken.com/contact-support

Hopefully that will get you past the error.

If not report back here and I will see if I can think of anything else.
    Signature:
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    As I mentioned, I use the copy and paste method of handling my Quicken data files.  I never use Quicken's backup feature.  The advantage to Quicken's backup feature is that it appends the file with the word BACKUP and adds the date and timestamp of the backup.

My method works through Windows Explorer...where you see all your folders and files.

Locate your active Quicken data file.  Highlight the .qdf file and right click.  Select COPY.  Move to the location where you want the "backup" file to be.  In my case its another folder labelled Quicken Backup.  Open the folder and right click.  Select PASTE.

Your original Quicken .qdf data file is now copied to that backup folder.

I then navigate to my external hard drive, click on the drive letter and right click and select PASTE again.  BINGO...I now have another copy of my data file on the external drive.

Next, I select Dropbox from the Windows Explorer sidebar.  Same methodology.  Open the folder I want to put the .qdf file in, right click and select PASTE again.

3 copies of the original Quicken data file...3 different locations.  Easy peasy.  

The advantage of this method is you still see the date and time of the file in the Windows Explorer file details.  The disadvantage is they will overwrite existing data files in the same location because they have the exact same data file name.

Others may not like this methodology for various reasons.  All I know is it works for me.  
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > As I suspected, you "restoring too much" can't be the cause of this problem.
    > I believe the problem was in fact triggered by the reinstall with an expired subscription.  Something that shouldn't trigger this problem, but I have seen it happen myself.
    >
    > Here are the steps I would try.
    > First patch Quicken to a version older than January 1, 2020.  You can find the patch here:
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has
    >
    > If that doesn't clear the data set error, contact Quicken support and have them try deleting the Quicken cloud data set.  Hopefully that will fix the problem.
    > http://quicken.com/contact-support
    >
    > Hopefully that will get you past the error.
    >
    > If not report back here and I will see if I can think of anything else.

I found the patch earlier, before I started this conversation, and I had downloaded it to my desktop. I doubleclicked it, but nothing ever happened. That page does not have any instructions on how to proceed with patching; all it says is to download it. It gives no instructions on where it is supposed to be downloaded to or how to activate it. Is there a procedure to this that I have not done?
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    > @garysmith87 said:
    > As I mentioned, I use the copy and paste method of handling my Quicken data files.  I never use Quicken's backup feature.  The advantage to Quicken's backup feature is that it appends the file with the word BACKUP and adds the date and timestamp of the backup.
    >
    > My method works through Windows Explorer...where you see all your folders and files.
    >
    > Locate your active Quicken data file.  Highlight the .qdf file and right click.  Select COPY.  Move to the location where you want the "backup" file to be.  In my case its another folder labelled Quicken Backup.  Open the folder and right click.  Select PASTE.
    >
    > Your original Quicken .qdf data file is now copied to that backup folder.
    >  
    > I then navigate to my external hard drive, click on the drive letter and right click and select PASTE again.  BINGO...I now have another copy of my data file on the external drive.
    >
    > Next, I select Dropbox from the Windows Explorer sidebar.  Same methodology.  Open the folder I want to put the .qdf file in, right click and select PASTE again.
    >
    > 3 copies of the original Quicken data file...3 different locations.  Easy peasy.  
    >
    > The advantage of this method is you still see the date and time of the file in the Windows Explorer file details.  The disadvantage is they will overwrite existing data files in the same location because they have the exact same data file name.
    >
    > Others may not like this methodology for various reasons.  All I know is it works for me.  

Thank you. If nothing else works, I may try this. I assume that if I ever do need to restore, I would copy the "backup" file that I saved elsewhere and replace the existing one in the active file?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Martlock said:
    I found the patch earlier, before I started this conversation, and I had downloaded it to my desktop. I doubleclicked it, but nothing ever happened. That page does not have any instructions on how to proceed with patching; all it says is to download it. It gives no instructions on where it is supposed to be downloaded to or how to activate it. Is there a procedure to this that I have not done?
    You download it by clicking on the link and follow whatever procedure there is for your web browser to download a file.  Most likely that will be saved in your Downloads folder.  And then to run it you open/double click on the file.
    Windows might prompt you to ask if you want to run in it, and then once it starts the patch should prompt you like this.

Signature:
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    So, the first patch I downloaded was the R30.19. Like I said, double clicking does nothing. No response. So I downloaded the R30.14 patch. I double click that one, and again, nothing. No response. I might as well be double clicking on empty space. I waited for five minutes or so.

When I hover over the Patch files, they both say "availability status - sync pending." But I don't know what that means. The first one I downloaded has been saying that since yesterday.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Martlock said:
    So, the first patch I downloaded was the R30.19. Like I said, double clicking does nothing. No response. So I downloaded the R30.14 patch. I double click that one, and again, nothing. No response. I might as well be double clicking on empty space. I waited for five minutes or so.

When I hover over the Patch files, they both say "availability status - sync pending." But I don't know what that means. The first one I downloaded has been saying that since yesterday.
    It sounds like something is blocking running the patches.  The sync message is probably OneDrive syncing the file to the server.

Try this click on the start button and type User Account Control and then Enter.
    You should get a dialog like this.

Make sure it is at the setting above or if you want the one above mine.

Windows should prompt you that an application is trying to change things on your machine.
    If you say yes, it should go on to the other dialog I posted above.

If none of that is working, try rebooting your machine and turn off any anti-virus program you have until after you have tried it again.
    Signature:
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > It sounds like something is blocking running the patches.  The sync message is probably OneDrive syncing the file to the server.
    >
    > Try this click on the start button and type User Account Control and then Enter.
    > You should get a dialog like this.
    >
    >
    >
    > Make sure it is at the setting above or if you want the one above mine.
    >
    > Windows should prompt you that an application is trying to change things on your machine.
    > If you say yes, it should go on to the other dialog I posted above.
    >
    > If none of that is working, try rebooting your machine and turn off any anti-virus program you have until after you have tried it again.

My settings matched yours, so I did not change anything.

I rebooted and when it came back up, I checked the anti-virus. I am using Windows Defender on Windows 11 (this is my first computer with Windows 11) and could not see how to turn off the Windows Defender, so just out of curiosity, I disconnected from the internet and tried to run the patch. Nothing happened, but again, just out of curiosity, I tried to open Quicken and it did open! I restored my file I got from the old computer's Quicken and that worked. Yay!

Interestingly, when I assumed I would be downloading the same version as I had when my subscription expired because I WAS logged in at the time, I assumed wrong. Looking at the About info, the current, new machine has this Quicken:
    Version R35.31
    Build 27.1.35.31

The old machine's Quicken is:
    Version R23.21
    Build 27.23.21

Weird. Perhaps that is why the patch will not work?

AND THEN.........

I connected to the internet, and closed and reopened Quicken to make sure it will still work. Alas, it will not. NOW I get this error (see attached)

Once I click on OK, Quicken shuts off.
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    So I went through the entire process again though this time with a few more hoops I had to jump through but the bottom line is I have the Quicken running with the restored file. At least now I can access the program, should anyone think of something that may help. I'll simply not close Quicken and not shut off the computer for now. If no one has any further ideas (because this is my life), I will try to contact Quicken support tomorrow.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    When you install Quicken, it will not update to the version that you had when your license expired.
    That is in fact the reason why the trying to patch back to the old version so that you won't get that message what you posted the screenshot for.  I have seen trying to patch back to a really old version fail, but that would be after it tried to patch not, that the patch wouldn't run at all.  So, the bottom line is that I don't know what is going on there.  And if you are using Windows Defender and not some other anti-virus software that shouldn't be the problem either.

At least for now it seems like you have got past the max data set message.  I will warn you that the only thing the moderators said that Quicken support will help with is that error.  For any other problems they will probably suggest renewing your subscription.
    Signature:
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    Well, spent almost an hour on the phone with Quicken support. They finally decided they had no idea why it was doing this, either. No matter what we did, I would get one of those two error messages, and once those errors were up on the screen, I could not access the program at all.

I ended up having to buy a new subscription, and all seems to be working now.

It was never the cost of the new subscription, it was that the website SAID I should be able to simply install what I had.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was afraid of that.  There is what they claim will happen and then there is what I seen and others like you have reported.

Thanks for reporting back on it.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I want to point out.  Be sure to save a copy of the Quicken program install.  The patching scheme they have should work if you are patching an older version of Quicken to go to a newer version.  It is when you try to do the reverse that it gets questionable.  Since Quicken Inc is only providing the latest install it is important for the user to save the install as it existed before their license expired.

Also, if you can find a copy of Quicken 2016 or 2017 they can also read the Quicken Subscription data files and should have less limitations than Quicken Subscription for "offline/manual" use, but see this thread on that too.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7903469/q2017-q2021-subscription-am-i-screwed-after-upgrade
    Signature:
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > One thing I want to point out.  Be sure to save a copy of the Quicken program install.  The patching scheme they have should work if you are patching an older version of Quicken to go to a newer version.  It is when you try to do the reverse that it gets questionable.  Since Quicken Inc is only providing the latest install it is important for the user to save the install as it existed before their license expired.
    >
    > Also, if you can find a copy of Quicken 2016 or 2017 they can also read the Quicken Subscription data files and should have less limitations than Quicken Subscription for "offline/manual" use, but see this thread on that too.
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7903469/q2017-q2021-subscription-am-i-screwed-after-upgrade

Thank you, I'll do that.
This discussion has been closed.