How do I restore data?

I was cleaning up my computer's home screen and believe I inadvertently did something that now Quicken is not opening properly. See below screenshot. I am unable to locate a back-up file from December 2021 anywhere. What do I do?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, I suggest you attempt to locate the Quicken files and Quicken Backup files by selecting File > Find Quicken Files...

If you inadvertantly deleted the Quicken file and the Quicken backup folder, they may be restored from the Trash bin.  If you deleted them from the Trash bin, they may be restorable using Windows File History, Windows Backup, or with whatever backup service you're using.

Answers

• Mary108
    Mary108 Member ✭✭
    Found a file, fixed. Whew!!1
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already, I suggest you attempt to locate the Quicken files and Quicken Backup files by selecting File > Find Quicken Files...

If you inadvertantly deleted the Quicken file and the Quicken backup folder, they may be restored from the Trash bin.  If you deleted them from the Trash bin, they may be restorable using Windows File History, Windows Backup, or with whatever backup service you're using.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the future, you should be making backups to something that is NOT inside your computer.  I suggest buying a couple of USB thumbdrives (the multi gigabyte size like 4 or 8 GB) and alternate between the two drives so that the last two backups are never on the same drive.  Have Quicken include the date in the files name and you will be able to keep a bunch of them on the thumbdrives deleting the older ones when you start to run out of space.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.