Removing shares does not work

Options
For some reason a duplicate holdings in my investment account appeared. When I enter "remove shares"- while it records it, it doesn't actually remove the shares.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'd suggest that you take a close look at all the transactions that are in that register, to see if there are any odd transactions - such as a stock split, or other duplicate transactions.  The absence of a cost basis doesn't make sense. 

If this just started, you may want to restore a recent backup file, especially if these duplicate shares showed-up after a recent account download. 

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi @Terry Buckner,

Have you tried simply "deleting" the shares?  If not do that and let us know what happens.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Terry Buckner
    Options
    Yes I did. It shows it in the transaction log, but the shares are still there in the portfolio view.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the "Portfolio" view >  "Shares" column - are there numbers of shares in that column and corresponding amounts in the "Market Value", "Cost Basis" and "Gain/Loss" columns, or are those 3 columns blank?

Frankx

• Terry Buckner
    Options
    The cost basis is blank. The shares have a value as does the market value
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'd suggest that you take a close look at all the transactions that are in that register, to see if there are any odd transactions - such as a stock split, or other duplicate transactions.  The absence of a cost basis doesn't make sense. 

If this just started, you may want to restore a recent backup file, especially if these duplicate shares showed-up after a recent account download. 

Frankx

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: Quicken FAQ: Managing Placeholder Entries in Quicken for Windows
This discussion has been closed.