Attachments to registers

Superdnaw
Superdnaw Member
When I attach a receipt to a register transaction (Through the desktop application on my laptop). Where is that stored at? Do I have to go through the quicken application to access that receipt? Why does that attachement not show up on the mobile application on my cell phone?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Attachments are stored, encrypted, inside your .QDF data file. The only way to retrieve them is via the Quicken desktop application.
    If you have not yet done a lot of attaching, my recommendation would be not to start. Store your would-be attachments in normal Windows folders and reference them from the transactions via URL or filename.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Attachments are stored, encrypted, inside your .QDF data file. The only way to retrieve them is via the Quicken desktop application.
    If you have not yet done a lot of attaching, my recommendation would be not to start. Store your would-be attachments in normal Windows folders and reference them from the transactions via URL or filename.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that the Mobile/Web apps don’t support PDF files, only image files, and so that is most likely why they aren’t being synced.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Superdnaw
    Superdnaw Member
    Thank you very much. I just saved one using a jpeg and got it to show up in the mobile application
  • tsf
    tsf Member ✭✭
    I love adding attachments for my transactions. I scan receipts and attach them to the register entry. I would like for this item to be improved so it doesn't create a problem by making my register file become too large.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thought process with saving attachments in Quicken.

As you found out, you can only access them through Quicken.

It bloats your file exponentially as .jpg files are quite large...and may slow down your processing time within Quicken.

If your Quicken data file ever becomes corrupted, your attachments may be lost forever.  

It's just as simple creating a hierarchy in Windows Explorer and saving your receipts, warranties and other documents there.  
This discussion has been closed.