can I add an account without the dollar amont impacting the calculation of my Net Worth?

439sidnal52
439sidnal52 Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I recently added 4 savings accounts to my Quicken account list for the specific purpose of tracking selected dollar only transactions unfortunately those dollar transactions are impacting the calculation of my Net Worth. No option in the "Display" category will provide for the entry of those dollar only transactions without them affecting Quicken's calculation of my Net Worth.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, just record is as being "SEPARATE" from your other Q accounts.  HELP contains the info as to how to do that.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• 439sidnal52
    439sidnal52 Member ✭✭
    Currently I must adjust my Net Worth value by the sum total of those 4 accounts in order to get a true rendering of my Net Worth. Surely Quicken has developed a process for adding an account and not have the dollars related to that added account affecting the Net Worth calculation.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The option you want is "Keep this account separate" in the Display Options tab of the Account Details.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these real bank accounts?  Research Savings Goals.   

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• 439sidnal52
    439sidnal52 Member ✭✭
    Let me try another approach. For some of the Quicken Reports the user can select only the accounts wanted in that report. For Quicken to calculate Net Worth does a user have the option to select only the accounts the user wants Quicken to tally in its calculation of Net Worth?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have already received 3 responses. Please scroll up to see them.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently my "comment" lacked sufficient detail for anyone in the "community" to respond. Likewise, an effort to "Chat" with an expert also failed. So, given those results, further queries via "Chat" or the "Community" are unlikely because I haven't learned the lingo. Bottom line--first time and last time without regrets. Just thought I could link up with someone who had a quick (no pun intended) fix.

Several people, myself included, have told your EXACTLY how to have an account in  Q that isn't included in your Net Worth.  Just expend the effort to look in Q's HELP for "Keep this account separate'.
    Also, where, in Q, are you seeing this "Net Worth" that you want some accounts excluded from?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me try another approach. For some of the Quicken Reports the user can select only the accounts wanted in that report. For Quicken to calculate Net Worth does a user have the option to select only the accounts the user wants Quicken to tally in its calculation of Net Worth?
    Others have responded above with specific details on how you can accomplish what you want to accomplish.  Those suggestions will work for you.  You already have your "quick fix" and you can continue to ignore them, at your own loss.

But on this latest question - the answer is basically NO.  Quicken calculates New Worth according to the time-tested and generally accepted definition of net worth.  That definition is not subject to personal views, conjecture, or other variables. 

Good luck with this problem and otherwise in life.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@439sidnal52 Assuming you have learned how to view these responses, you can go to Reports > Net Worth & Balances > Net Worth to open the detailed Net Worth report. Click the Customize gear in the top right corner. On the Accounts tab, you can select which accounts to include in the report. Any accounts you have marked Separate as described above will be excluded from the report by default. If you want to include them, check the (misnamed) Show hidden accounts box and select them.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.