PayPal and 2FA account setup issues

J S
J S Member ✭✭
TL;DR. Can anyone get through the PayPal 2FA authentication process using an authenticator app? PayPal is sending me a 2FA code via text message which is odd because I do not have that setting enabled.

I cannot setup a PayPal account within Quicken. My PayPal account has 2FA enabled using the "Third party code generator" setting. When I attempt to setup PayPal within Quicken I see the "Please answer the question so we can confirm your identity" screen and I choose the "Enter the 6-digit security code from your authenticator app" option, which is the only option. When I click continue I get a text message to my phone saying "PayPal: Your security code is XXXXXX. It expires in 10 minutes. Don't share this code with anyone." This behavior is incorrect... I should not be getting a 2FA code via a text message because I have Third party code generator (authenticator app) enabled. In any event, I try entering the security code from the text message and it doesn't work. I also try using the security code from my authenticator app and it doesn't work. In both cases it tries to validate the 6-digit code then punts me back to the "Please answer the question from your authenticator app" screen. I bet I could change my PayPal 2FA option to SMS text message and then the Quicken verification would work, but I don't want to do this because SMS text message 2FA is less secure then a hardware based authenticator app.

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello JS,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

It sounds as though this 2FA method is not fully supported at this time. At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps. 

Quicken Care has the tools to review the logs and escalate the issue if necessary.

Thank you, 

-Quicken Tyka 

~~~***~~~

Answers

• ob1
    ob1 Member
    Having the same probelm - quicken now asks every time I sync for the 2FA code
    This is driving me crazy

• J S
    J S Member ✭✭
    @ob1 It sounds like 2FA is working for you, it just asks you every time. Is your PayPal account set to use a 3rd party code generator, SMS text message to your phone, or something else? I think I'll just switch to whatever works with the Quicken system.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello JS,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

It sounds as though this 2FA method is not fully supported at this time. At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps. 

Quicken Care has the tools to review the logs and escalate the issue if necessary.

Thank you, 

-Quicken Tyka 

~~~***~~~
  • J S
    J S Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka Thanks for the confirmation!
  • Ben2020
    Ben2020 Member ✭✭
    I still have this issue of PayPal credit card requiring me to "Please answer the question so we can confirm your identity." every time I download my statement information. Still not resolved? Please make this a priority.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Ben2020  This site is not Quicken Support. If you want Quicken to "make this a priority," you need to contact Support to get them to escalate the issue. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.