0.00 Transactions on Discover Card

Chuck Kuhle
Chuck Kuhle Member ✭✭
I am receiving many 0.00 transactions on my Discover Card downloads. Some have company names....others a mixture of 11 letters/numbers/periods. Does anyone know why this occurs?

Answers

• pgavon
    pgavon Member ✭✭✭
    I have experienced the same thing with Discover. I believe it is the vendor creating a "dummy" transaction to make sure the card is valid / legitimate. I just delete them every time one gets downloaded.
  • Chuck Kuhle
    Chuck Kuhle Member ✭✭
    That was what I thought also but I don't seem to get that on other credit cards.
  • RLSJR
    RLSJR Member ✭✭
    I get that on my Discover with every Samsung Pay or Google Pay transaction. I just delete them, but wish there was a way to automatically remove them.
  • Jack Mathis
    Jack Mathis Member ✭✭
    I downloaded the QFX file from discover card and the transactions are coming from the Memo field. There is no 0.00 transaction amounts in the QFX file, so Quicken is creating these enteries using the Memo field.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That was what I thought also but I don't seem to get that on other credit cards.
    What downloads is up to the financial institution.  Discover is known to send these zero amount transactions.

I downloaded the QFX file from discover card and the transactions are coming from the Memo field. There is no 0.00 transaction amounts in the QFX file, so Quicken is creating these enteries using the Memo field.
    What is in a QFX doesn't have to be exactly what the financial institutions sends during Direct Connect (even though it should be).  Check the OFX Log to be sure what they really sent.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jack Mathis
    Jack Mathis Member ✭✭
    Can't find an OFX log.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Jack Mathis On the Help menu, you can select Show Logs in Finder. That will open the Logs folder, and the OFXLog.txt should be visible there. (Your most recent activity is at the bottom, so you need to read from the bottom up.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jack Mathis
    Jack Mathis Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Found the OFXLog. The difference is the downloaded QFX file from discover card has a <MEMO>field were as the OFXLog does not, so it's creating another line entry, and putting -0 for <TRNAMT> and the memo field into <NAME>field. This probably needs Discover card's template updated at Quicken.

Using Quicken Premier version:R36.54 for windows
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Jack Mathis From the examples you posted, it seems pretty clear that Discover has a bug in their system and is improperly generating the OFX data it's downloading to Quicken. Quicken can't update this; Discover is sending the malformed data and need to fix it. If you, and perhaps other Discover users report the problem to their IT department, hopefully they'll be able to get it corrected fairly quickly. (You can report it as a bug to Quicken, but it would have to be validated by them, escalated to Intuit, Intuit would have to reach out to Discover, and Discover would still have to fix it.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.