RELATIONSHIP OF CUSIP TO SECURITY OR SECURITY NAME

Dave Robinson
Dave Robinson Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Can I change the relationship Quicken assigns to a downloaded security CUSIP. As example, I have a CUSIP of "(9999776)" which I have manually changed to "(9999776) CASH". Originally I changed them all manually. So I now have both. I wish to eliminate the display of the CUSIP number and only show a name. I could convert ALL my securities manually, however in the case of the two cash noted above, I cannot change them both to "CASH" since I cannot do them both at one time. Convert one then can't convert the other due to naming conflict. The result I am looking for is to only display the Name, eg "MSFT" or "CASH" for all my securities.

Ideas??

Thanks, Dave
Quicken user since DOS 1.1 (1983)

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The CUSIP ID is provided by the financial institution when we download transactions. The CUSIP ID is assigned to a Quicken security when we match an online security to a Quicken security.   Quicken should prompt to match an online security to a Quicken security when the financial institution provides a security with a CUSIP ID that has not been assigned to a Quicken security.  If a Quicken security has been mismatched, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window and the Quicken security will become available to be matched to an online security when Quicken next encounters an unmatched online security.

If you have inadvertently entered transactions using an incorrect Quicken security, I suggest you replace the security in the transactions. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also you can rename securities as you wish. Quicken uses the CUSIP number to match to downloaded transactions and the Symbol (ticker) for downloading quotes.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Also you can rename securities as you wish. Quicken uses the CUSIP number to match to downloaded transactions and the Symbol (ticker) for downloading quotes.
    Quicken uses the CUSIP ID to match security from the financial institution - that includes transactions, share balances, and quotes.  

Quicken uses the ticker symbol to pull prices from the third-party quote service.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To supplement those prior (very accurate) answers, the name used in Quicken for a security does NOT need to match the name used by either Quicken's lookup sources for price quotes, or your financial institution for downloaded transactions, holdings and prices.

As you noted, two distinct securities in Quicken cannot have the same name (CASH in your example).  In my experience, financial institutions rarely hold cash, they operate with MM funds as sweep accounts.  The MM fund used at one brokerage is typically different that what is used at a different brokerage.  I suggest those types of funds, if maintained in Quicken, should have names reflecting their true name rather than a catch-all CASH. 

Some users for simplicity choose to not reflect the MM sweep funds in their Quicken file.  They allow the Quicken account to have a cash balance and recognize that cash balance should match what the financial institution reports as its MM fund balance. 
  • Dave Robinson
    Dave Robinson Member ✭✭✭
    How do I edit two securities to combine them under one name, is there a way to merge two into one? the security at the institution is the same for both. I started renaming them in the register and now wish to undo it.
    Quicken user since DOS 1.1 (1983)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    How do I edit two securities to combine them under one name, is there a way to merge two into one? the security at the institution is the same for both. I started renaming them in the register and now wish to undo it.
    As previously explained, the only way to combine them under one name is to replace the references to one of the securities with the other in the transactions.  Once you are no longer referencing a security in any transactions, Quicken will allow you to delete the security.
This discussion has been closed.