Error with Bank of America One Step Update

I'm on version 36.56, but this started with version 36.54. I'm using Windows Quicken Premier and this issue started right after I updated to version 36.54 on December 16, 2021.

One Step Update (OSU) Express Connect Issue (using Bank of America - all other states connection): I had to disconnect then reconnect my Bank of America (BofA) checking, savings, and Visa credit card. During the OSU process my BofA checking and savings updated without issue; however, my BofA Visa account ending balance changed. This included my previously reconciled ending balances. Also, really old transactions appeared as new. I reloaded a current backup and updated to version 36.56 and tried OSU after disconnecting and reconnecting my BofA accounts. Same results, again my BofA Visa ending balance changed and really old transactions appeared as new.

Please note, I do not have the setting turned on to allow Quicken to automatically add transactions to my register. I manually accept each one. Also, I do not use the web version and do not upload my accounts to the cloud.

It appears One Step Update is deleting transactions from the register, including reconciled ones for my BofA Visa account. If I do a download directly from BofA the Visa account balances remain unchanged and new transactions appear as they should at the bottom waiting for me to accept them.

I ran a super validate and the file was fine. I did this a couple of times during my endeavors with OSU to ensure no file corruption.

The last time I tried an OSU I did an experiment before I reloaded my backup file. I reviewed the transactions that downloaded and found they had been deleted from my register. So, in mass, I accepted all the new transactions and found my balance returned correctly. Unfortunately, this is not a solution because once OSU deleted the original transactions my split detail and category assignments disappeared. What a mess. Please fix One Step Update.

By the way I did send my files and screenshots using the One Step Update, "having an issue" upload process yesterday December 22nd, 2021. I included before, during, and after screenshots. Hopefully, this will help expedite a solution.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Phil in Lorain,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and providing a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing, though I apologize for the trouble.

If I understood correctly; is the missing split details and categories the only issue you are currently experiencing, however connecting, updating, and balances of your BOA accounts is resolved?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Phil in Lorain
    Phil in Lorain Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hi Anja, no it's not resolved. One Step Update keeps stepping on (deleting) Bank of America Visa credit card transactions from my register. This includes previously reconciled transactions. To correct I have to reload a backup file and manually download my transactions from the Bank of America website. Please fix One Step Update.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for clarifying.

In that case, you can try creating a copy of your data file and moving forward with the copied file by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full data range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID which can eliminate certain data file issues that may not always be detected through validating or super validating in the original file.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• Hi Anja. Funny you should suggest this. I did just that on Tuesday, December 21, 2021. I renamed the new file so I could keep track of the different steps I was taking. I tried this to see if it would help, but it did not. (Thanks for confirming a copy command will disconnect all online services. I suspected it did because I had to reconnect all my accounts to Express Connect.)

I ran a super validate before I copied the file and again on the new file. No corruption was detected. I stopped using the old file since I created a new file.

One Step Update is still deleting some previously reconciled and some current transactions. To be specific there are 34 transactions that One Step Update is pulling in from BofA. These are the same transactions that are in the register before I run One Step Update, but are missing after One Step Update completes. I'm not sure why One Step Update would delete anything in the register. Unless a programmer added a delete step to fix the Charles Schwab issues I've been reading about on this site. (I have no Charles Schwab accounts.)
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for confirming you have already tried this.

Do you happen to use either of the Quicken companion apps (Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web)? If not, then next, I suggest that you turn off mobile sync to see if that may help. Doing so, may not fix the issues that have already occurred, however, it may help prevent these issues from reoccurring. 

Please follow the instructions provided below in order to do so.

1. Navigate to Edit 
    2. Preferences
    3. Mobile & Web
    4. Turn Sync OFF. 

Please be advised that since doing this is in an attempt to prevent the issues from continuing, you may not be able to tell right away whether or not it worked until your next One Step Update session.

-Quicken Anja

• Phil in Lorain
    Phil in Lorain Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hi Anja. thanks for your quick response. I do not have Sync turned on nor do I use the mobile or web apps.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hi Anja. thanks for your quick response. I do not have Sync turned on nor do I use the mobile or web apps.
    Thank you for the confirmation. So in that case, go ahead and follow the instructions to turn off Sync and post back with an update after your next One Step Update session.

-Quicken Anja

• Hi Anja. Sync was not on.
  • Quicken Anja
    Apologies for misreading that! 

You mentioned earlier having submitted a problem report from within the Quicken program. Did you submit this report from your original or copied file?

-Quicken Anja

• Hi Anja. I used the new file when I submitted the report. Thank you so much for all your suggestions.
  • Quicken Anja
    I will go ahead and pull the report for review and further investigation. I will post back here once I have more information to share with you.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.