Cannot add new Schwab account

MichaelCortese
MichaelCortese Member ✭✭✭
I've read a bunch of the issues with Schwab that seem like they are fixed. However, I am unable to add connectivity to my new Schwab account. "Sorry we encountered an error. (It's not your fault)." Then I got a very strange blank dialogue box that I cannot close and has no text or heading. I have to use task manager to kill Quicken.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That "zzz-Charles Schwab.." can't be connected to via Quicken.  Use the "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." financial institution.
  • MichaelCortese
    edited December 2021
    I get a CC-501 error using that.
  • Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @MichaelCortese, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. We do have an FAQ with steps to resolve this error, please visit it at https://www.quicken.com/support/errors-when-updating-or-adding-charles-schwab-accounts
    I'll also list them here for you!

If you are receiving this error while attempting to set up your accounts with Charles Schwab, follow the steps below.

First, ensure all the Schwab accounts are deactivated:

1. Select Tools > Account List.
    2. If present, select the Show Hidden Accounts checkbox at the bottom of the Account List.
    3. Select the account(s) for which you want to deactivate online services, and then click Edit. You will want to deactivate the accounts with the financial institution showing as:
      • Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. (or zz Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.)
      • Charles Schwab Bank, N.A. (or zz Charles Schwab Bank, N.A.)
    4. In the Account Details window, click the Online Services tab.
    5. Click Deactivate next to the service you want to disable.
    6. Click Yes to the message asking if you want to disable this service. 
      • Note: When deactivating a Direct Connect account, you may see an additional prompt advising you to contact your bank to cancel the Direct Connect service. You do not need to contact Schwab in connection with this change.
    7. Click OK to the confirmation message.

If you encounter a problem while attempting to deactivate the accounts, download and install the R37.37 patch now at this link

Second, reset your cloud data:

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web.
    2. Click Reset your cloud data.

Lastly, attempt to set up your accounts with Schwab again:

1. Go to Tools > Add Account.
    2. Select Charles Schwab & Co, Inc. as the name of the financial institution, and click Next.
    3. A browser window will open and prompt you to log in to Charles Schwab with your Charles Schwab credentials.
    4. A list of the Charles Schwab accounts available for download in Quicken will appear. Select all of these accounts and LINK them to your existing accounts in Quicken.
    If these steps do not resolve your issue or you need assistance please do not hesitate to contact us and our support team would be more than happy to assist you!
    -Quicken Jade
  • MichaelCortese
    I still get an error cc-501. It never shows a list of accounts after I enter my username and password.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I still get an error cc-501. It never shows a list of accounts after I enter my username and password.
    Hello MichaelCortese,

I understand that this connection error is very frustrating and I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with adding that account. If you have the chance, would you be willing to report the problem? You can do this by going to 'Help>Report a problem' in Quicken. I believe this Open Alert thread may also be relevant: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7901706/updated-12-2-21-schwab-users-may-see-error-cc-501-or-http-400-with-quicken-for-windows-accounts#latest.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • MichaelCortese
    I tried signing out and back in and resetting my cloud data. It was looking for my Schwab accounts for a couple minutes and then gave CC-501 again. I'll report it through the app.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I tried signing out and back in and resetting my cloud data. It was looking for my Schwab accounts for a couple minutes and then gave CC-501 again. I'll report it through the app.
    MichaelCortese,

Understood, and thank you for your efforts. I appreciate that you're updating us on this. Any and all information will be helpful!

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • jimmcd01
    jimmcd01 Member ✭✭
    Have recently opend a new Schwab account, and have been battling the CC-501 error ever since. I have read all the Schwab problem threads, and tried all the "fixes", but to no avail. After reading (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7873777/trying-to-add-schwab-accounts-error) however, the last entry of which was in May 2020, I tried it to see what would happen. So: 1) Started a brand new Quicken file with no data in it; 2) Tools-Add Account; 3) Search for Schwab (Note: "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." now showed up under "Best Results", not under "Other Results"); 4) Received a window stating that I need to authorize my accounts (Note: First time I saw this); 5) Went through a Schwab sign in and authorization process; 6) Voila! All account transactions downloaded correctly.

So, there is apparently something in my, and perhaps others, existing Quicken file that refuses to connect to Schwab. I scanned Edit-Preferences, but did not see any variances.

Quicken Support: any ideas?
  • lurch177
    lurch177 Member ✭✭
    > @jimmcd01 said:
    > Have recently opend a new Schwab account, and have been battling the CC-501 error ever since. I have read all the Schwab problem threads, and tried all the "fixes", but to no avail. After reading (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7873777/trying-to-add-schwab-accounts-error) however, the last entry of which was in May 2020, I tried it to see what would happen. So: 1) Started a brand new Quicken file with no data in it; 2) Tools-Add Account; 3) Search for Schwab (Note: "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." now showed up under "Best Results", not under "Other Results"); 4) Received a window stating that I need to authorize my accounts (Note: First time I saw this); 5) Went through a Schwab sign in and authorization process; 6) Voila! All account transactions downloaded correctly.
    >
    > So, there is apparently something in my, and perhaps others, existing Quicken file that refuses to connect to Schwab. I scanned Edit-Preferences, but did not see any variances.
    >
    > Quicken Support: any ideas?

Having exactly the same problem, except mine is a 20+ year old account that was always set up for download until the recent Schwab changes. I deactivated online services and now cannot reactivate them, either through a new account/link or from the existing account. I get a CC-501 error every time. If I create a new Quicken data file I can create a new Schwab account (it also shows up under Best Results instead of Other) and downloads fine. It even downloads only new transactions.

This is got something to do with Financial Institution and Branding profile changes I think, and Schwab's change from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect. I tried to do a profile refresh from the Online Center but, when using my old Quicken data file, "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." is not a choice in the Financial Institution dropdown menu because online services for the Schwab account are not set up.

Quicken Support (or others): any ideas?
  • MichaelCortese
    I never had a Schwab account until 2 weeks ago and cannot get online services added without the CC-501 error. I tried all the steps in the links above.
  • I spent an hour with a technician and we resolved the connectivity errors. It was complicated. I now have have a message asking to connect one of my accounts. The others are not downloading. Looking at the main site, I see there is ongoing issues. Do I call back in and spend time trying to get a tech to help me get connected (the download has not downloaded any transitions since Dec 2 2021)?
  • MichaelCortese
    > @Stewmando said:
    > I spent an hour with a technician and we resolved the connectivity errors. It was complicated. I now have have a message asking to connect one of my accounts. The others are not downloading. Looking at the main site, I see there is ongoing issues. Do I call back in and spend time trying to get a tech to help me get connected (the download has not downloaded any transitions since Dec 2 2021)?

It seems like there are a lot of issues surrounding Schwab and Quicken. I am just going to wait. I've tried this so many times...I don't want to waste any more. I'm not really making transactions so I can wait a few weeks. I imagine they will have a new update or fix whatever it is on their end. The error says it is Quicken connectivity and not anything at Schwab.
  • jimmcd01
    jimmcd01 Member ✭✭
    OSU showed an available update this morning to 37.62, which claimed to resolve several Schwab problems. Ran the update, tried to add Schwab account, same cc-501 error.
  • rewilson
    rewilson Member ✭✭
    Another user who has been unable to get online downloads activated for my new Schwab investment account. I've tried the suggestions above (and some others) without any luck.
  • MichaelCortese
    There seems to be an update every other day and it still doesn't work for me. Financial software should not be being updated constantly. I've done software development for several major financial institutions. Frequent updates indicates problems and insufficient testing.
This discussion has been closed.