What is this VALIDATE Directory

Divemaster
Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
I have a sub directory labeled VALIDATE under my main Quicken directory.  Under it are several of my old and my current QDF files.   Are these something left over from running a validate and are they of any use or can they be deleted?  I just trying to clean up stuff I don't need.  Below is Quicken directory.

This is what is under directory VALIDATE

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Before Quicken attempts to Validate and Repair, Quicken saves a copy of the Quicken file to the VALIDATE folder in the folder that contains the Quicken file.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, guess I will delete all but the last one. 
    General observation.  The only reason you have more than one data file saved in the Validate folder is because you keep changing your data file name.  Validate doesn't do any name changing, it simply copies the data file you are about to validate into that folder, and if it already exists it will just overwrite it without asking.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Before Quicken attempts to Validate and Repair, Quicken saves a copy of the Quicken file to the VALIDATE folder in the folder that contains the Quicken file.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    General observation.  The only reason you have more than one data file saved in the Validate folder is because you keep changing your data file name.  Validate doesn't do any name changing, it simply copies the data file you are about to validate into that folder, and if it already exists it will just overwrite it without asking.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is true.  An old habit of mine has been to change the last two digits to calendar year and do year end copy.  Lately haven't done year end copy for various reasons (that is another whole issue), but have changed name.  
This discussion has been closed.