Closed account continues to try and sync when online banking is performed

cudell
cudell Member ✭✭
Had an account hacked, who hasn't. Didn't deactivate the online connection, just CLOSED the account. Quicken still keeps trying to sync the account every time I perform the One Step Update. Shouldn't closing the account deactivate the account? Since the account is closed and I can't "re-open" it to deactivate it and close it again. What do I do? Really tired of getting the error.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Theoretically, marking an account as closed in Quicken should have correctly deactivated the connection when you marked the account as closed ... practically, there could have been a bug or problem communicating with the servers which prevented this from working ... I can only guess. Maybe the following helps ...

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just clarifying, you "Closed" the account in Quicken, you aren't referring to the financial institution closing the account and creating another account.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• GeezerGeek
    GeezerGeek Member ✭✭✭
    I have also encountered this problem. I'm a Quicken vet of more than 30 years so I tried the usual trouble shooting with no results. The closed account isn't listed on my "One Step Update Settings" and the account also is not listed on the "One Step Update Progress" screen during the update but every time I try a One Step Update, Quicken prompts me for the credentials for the account. I suspect that the account is still on Quickens update server so my next step is to contact Quicken Support.
    Quicken user since 1991, DOS version
  • GeezerGeek
    GeezerGeek Member ✭✭✭
    OK, after searching further through the community responses, I found a means to fix this: Create an new account, Move all transactions from old account to new account, and then Delete old account. That worked but when moving the transactions from the account, Quicken prompted to confirm each moved transaction and told me that the linked transactions would be deleted even though I had selected all of the transactions and did just one Move transaction. I was concerned about the message stating the linked transaction would be deleted but it all worked out. Fortunately, the account didn't have many transactions so it didn't take too long for the transfer. Maybe there is a better way for transferring multiple transactions than the method I used but it worked. Hopefully, I won't encounter this problem again.
    Quicken user since 1991, DOS version
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, after searching further through the community responses, I found a means to fix this: Create an new account, Move all transactions from old account to new account, and then Delete old account. That worked but when moving the transactions from the account, Quicken prompted to confirm each moved transaction and told me that the linked transactions would be deleted even though I had selected all of the transactions and did just one Move transaction. I was concerned about the message stating the linked transaction would be deleted but it all worked out. Fortunately, the account didn't have many transactions so it didn't take too long for the transfer. Maybe there is a better way for transferring multiple transactions than the method I used but it worked. Hopefully, I won't encounter this problem again.

When moving transactions from one account to another, to avoid the nasty confirmation prompt, I have always advised people to
    • first un-reconcile all transactions in the old account (mark them "c"cleared)
    • execute the "Move transactions" function
    • and finally, in the new account, mark all cleared transactions from above as reconciled.
  • I have been struggling with this for months but GeezerGeek's hack did the trick. Thanks so much for sharing it! I was about to give up and start from scratch again until this fixed my issue.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Christopher Edgar, 

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you were able to resolve your issue. If you come across any error or have questions please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • BriTur
    BriTur Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. The institution is not in my One Step Update list and I've turned off Online Services for all the old accounts I had there. Still, and for weeks, Quicken tries to connect to that bank and set up old accounts.
    When will QUICKEN fix this problem?
  • cudell
    cudell Member ✭✭
    Though GeezerGeek's solution may work, when you are dealing with a large amount of transactions, that is a LOT of work. If there is a way to perform multiple entry updates, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm with BriTur - please fix the problem...
  • Reno
    Reno Member
    Twenty-five year user. This is ridiculous. Bank connection issues are ridiculous. Fix it Quicken. The auto-renewal program demands it.
  • BriTur
    BriTur Member ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more! Even when I click Skip to skip the one step update at sign in, it still tries to do all that AND access my old, closed bank account, which is not listed in one step update. Ridiculous.
  • carter
    carter Member ✭✭
    Trying to move or copy the transactions screws up thing royally. Categories are lost and the account gets out of balance.

This really sucks. I too have used Quicken for a long time but it continues to deteriorate. This is the only thing keeping me from abandoning Microsoft for Linux.
  • kathy234311
    kathy234311 Member ✭✭✭
    The plot thickens! I'm having the same problem--closed an account and online services tab shows it's closed, but it keeps prompting me to authorize the account when I run One Step Update.

Here's the situation. We have three different accounts with Chase, two active and one now closed (that is, closed both with Chase and in Quicken). I found that Quicken had separated the login to the account into two--one for the two active accounts and another for the closed one. I unchecked the closed account in the list of accounts to be included in One Step Update, but it still immediately wants me to reauthorize the account with Chase every time I run the update. So apparently that happens before the update even runs.

I'm completely baffled, but this is definitely something Quicken needs to fix. My only alternative is to delete the account, but there's history in there that I'll need for tax purposes.
This discussion has been closed.