How to split an account from quicken file to new file

Options
afung49
afung49 Member ✭✭
I have been taking care of my son's account under my quicken file. Now that he is grown up and has his own family. How do I split off his account to a new quicken file so that he can take care of his own account.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You could do a QIF file export/import (File menu).  Since it is only a single account, it should work.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• afung49
    afung49 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have multiple accounts in that quicken file. How do I export just the one account into a new quicken file?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QIF (Quicken Interchange Format) is a legacy file format that is used to transfer financial data between websites and applications. QIF is being replaced over time by Quicken's new QXF (Quicken Transfer Format) file format. Unless you need to transfer investment or business data, we recommend that you skip the steps below and use QXF export instead. To learn more, see Export to QXF. Otherwise, here is how to export to QIF:

1. Choose File menu > File Export > QIF file.
    2. In the QIF File to Export to field, Quicken displays the preset path of the export file. Select the appropriate option:
      • Enter a name for the export file at the end of the existing path (make sure there is a backslash \ before the file name). Quicken automatically adds the correct file extension.
      • Click Browse to select a different location. Enter a name in the File name field, and then click OK to return to the QIF Export window.
    3. In the Quicken Account to Export from list, select the account from which to export transactions. Note: If you're exporting data only from lists and not exporting transactions, it doesn't matter which account you select here.
    4. In the Include Transactions in Dates field, enter the dates of transactions to export. To export only those transactions that occurred during a specific interval of time, enter the beginning and ending dates of that time interval.
    5. In the Include in Export list, select the items to include in the export.
    6. Click OK to create the .QIF file.
    7. Import the QIF file into Quicken.
    How do I export data from Quicken?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It should be File > File Export> QIF File then select the account to export, the date range, and the items to export. Remember where you saved the QIF file.

Create a new, empty Quicken file, then go to File > File import > QIF file and import the file you just saved.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.