Transfer Transaction Dates Different in Transfer to Account

Quick_Brown_Pan
Quick_Brown_Pan Member, Mac Beta Beta
My paycheck is being distributed to multiple accounts. I use the transfer transaction as part of the split to take care of this, but the date of the transaction gets changed on the transfer-to account. For instance, I had a paycheck on 7/22, but on the "other" account where I transferred part of the paycheck to it is showing up as 8/5 - I cannot change the date because quicken does not allow different dates of transfer transactions. How can I fix this? One other item that might be causing an issue is that both accounts are set up as "online" - I am wondering if the downloaded transaction is causing the date to change.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, I'm sure it is the download from the other account which is causing this. (What is the other account that you're transferring to? Is it a 401k account?) To verify this, open the transaction with the 8/5 date and do View > Show Inspector. Near the bottom of the window, you'll see the date posted by the financial institution. I suspect you'll see it was 8/5.

So are you saying that when Quicken changes the other account to 8/5, it also changes to 8/5 in your bank account? 

In your Preferences > Connected Services, you can see if the preference to use the posted date for matched transactions is checked and try unchecking it.

If the is a transfer to a 401k account, and the 401k deposit shows up two weeks later than your paycheck, you might find it less problematic to do this as two separate transactions rather than as a linked transaction. In your checking account, you'd change the split of the amount to the 401k to a category of "Transfer". That's a special category which tells quicken the money went somewhere that Quicken isn't tracking. Then when you download from your 401k account, the deposits will show up on their proper dates. The downside to this is that by not being linked, you might not be aware if there's ever a discrepancy between what's coming out of your paycheck and what's going into the 401k account. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Yes, I'm sure it is the download from the other account which is causing this. (What is the other account that you're transferring to? Is it a 401k account?) To verify this, open the transaction with the 8/5 date and do View > Show Inspector. Near the bottom of the window, you'll see the date posted by the financial institution. I suspect you'll see it was 8/5.

So are you saying that when Quicken changes the other account to 8/5, it also changes to 8/5 in your bank account? 

In your Preferences > Connected Services, you can see if the preference to use the posted date for matched transactions is checked and try unchecking it.

If the is a transfer to a 401k account, and the 401k deposit shows up two weeks later than your paycheck, you might find it less problematic to do this as two separate transactions rather than as a linked transaction. In your checking account, you'd change the split of the amount to the 401k to a category of "Transfer". That's a special category which tells quicken the money went somewhere that Quicken isn't tracking. Then when you download from your 401k account, the deposits will show up on their proper dates. The downside to this is that by not being linked, you might not be aware if there's ever a discrepancy between what's coming out of your paycheck and what's going into the 401k account. 
  • Quick_Brown_Pan
    Quick_Brown_Pan Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - it was matching the wrong instance of a recurring transaction - the inspector showed me this. I unmatched it and it corrected the dates. Thanks!
  • Steve42
    Steve42 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs I was intrigued by the comment:
    > In your Preferences > Connected Services, you can see if the preference to use the posted date for matched transactions is checked and try unchecking it.

I don't see that option, or the magic "Transfer" category. I'm on a current Windows subscription. Is that a beta feature?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Steve42 said:
    @jacobs I was intrigued by the comment:
    > In your Preferences > Connected Services, you can see if the preference to use the posted date for matched transactions is checked and try unchecking it.

I don't see that option, or the magic "Transfer" category. I'm on a current Windows subscription. Is that a beta feature?
    Steve42,

@jacobs may have been operating under the reasonable assumption that this problem was related to a Quicken Mac subscription, as the thread is labelled under 'Registers & Transactions (Mac)'. I can move the thread if need be.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    @Steve42 This thread is about Quicken Mac, and so my comments that you're referring to refer to Quicken Mac. I don't know enough about Quicken Windows to direct you where you might find a comparable setting in that product; you might want to post that question in a Quicken Windows category where the Quicken Windows experts can help you. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    @Steve42 This thread is about Quicken Mac, and so my comments that you're referring to refer to Quicken Mac. I don't know enough about Quicken Windows to direct you where you might find a comparable setting in that product; you might want to post that question in a Quicken Windows category where the Quicken Windows experts can help you. 
    There isn't such an option in Quicken Windows.

As I understand the original problem it is that Quicken Mac matched the wrong transaction.
    Given that Quicken Windows matching is quite simple this can happen there too, and is definitely why one needs to verify each match as they come in.

The matching in Quicken is almost entirely done by the amount (unless there is checking number in both the transaction in the register and downloaded).   And Quicken Windows will match the first transaction that hasn't been matched to a downloaded transaction and if the amount is the same.

The one time the date comes in is for a "cutoff period".  It used to be that Quicken Windows would match the first one in the register even if it is years old, these days they limit it to a 30-day period.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.