BUG - Quicken mandates an illegal password

Options
Don Awalt
Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
I changed my password for my Janus-Henderson account. I went into Quicken, and in the Vault attempted to change the password. I got an error, Quicken said "The Janus password must be 8 characters (it might have said 5-8, or something like that). The problem is, Janus requires passwords to be 10-20 characters! So there was no password both Janus and Quicken would be happy with! I got around the problem by deactivating my Janus accounts and setting them up again, passwords were accepted that way. But this should be fixed.

Comments

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also - Another one that is wrong - I discovered changing the password for Franklin Templeton, it says password must be 20 characters or less. Changing the password permits 20-70 characters.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another - Ameriprise enforces no more than 16 characters when changing the password in Password Vault. There is no limit in Ameriprise.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a bug. An oversight by the banks, neglecting to inform Quicken and Intuit of the change, more likely.
    • It is the bank's or biller's contractual obligation to notify their Quicken download service provider, Intuit, of any changes to their websites and download functions in a timely manner before the change is implemented. Intuit needs a sufficient amount of lead time to review, change and test their programs, to adapt to the changes the bank makes.
    • The bank also needs to notify their customers of this change in a timely fashion and detail any actions that might be required by the customer to regain access after the change was introduced.
    • If they didn't do that, complain to your bank's or biller's upper level management.
    • Also contact Quicken Support via Chat or Phone at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  during posted hours of operation and report this as an Online Banking issue, so that Quicken Support can escalate this issue to Intuit Inc.  Ultimately, however, the bank or biller must work together with Intuit on solving this update issue.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's NOTHING that's illegal about Q's password standards.  In fact, those standards were previously established and enforced by the Financial Institutions ... who failed to notify Q/Intuit of the changes.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why Quicken Inc (and Intuit before them) punishes themselves and their customers by using this system that they know isn't properly kept up by all the financial institutions has always baffled me.

Quicken shouldn't be checking the password except to maybe limit it to 32 characters and block characters that can go through Express Web Connect.  If the user puts in an illegal password, then it will get rejected by the financial institution when it logs in and reports that error.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.