Is Quicken for mac 6.0.3 compatible with mac os Monterey?

fmashburn
fmashburn Member
Is Quicken for mac 6.0.3 compatible with mac os Monterey?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello, @fmashburn!

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community with your question, though I do apologize for the confusion. If you are looking to upgrade your Mac OS, I would highly recommend updating your Quicken first. Quicken version 6.0 is quite a ways back and we cannot guarantee compatibility or recommend running 6.0.3 on Monterey. 

In order to update your Quicken application, please navigate to Quicken in the menu bar and then select Check for Updates... Once you are updated to the current version of Quicken, you should be fine to update to Monterey.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any further questions or require support, please reach out as we are always happy to help. Thank you and have a great day!

-Quicken September

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The current version of QMac is 6.5.1. Is there a reason you haven't updated to the current version?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello, @fmashburn!

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community with your question, though I do apologize for the confusion. If you are looking to upgrade your Mac OS, I would highly recommend updating your Quicken first. Quicken version 6.0 is quite a ways back and we cannot guarantee compatibility or recommend running 6.0.3 on Monterey. 

In order to update your Quicken application, please navigate to Quicken in the menu bar and then select Check for Updates... Once you are updated to the current version of Quicken, you should be fine to update to Monterey.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any further questions or require support, please reach out as we are always happy to help. Thank you and have a great day!

-Quicken September
  • RickO I bought it 24 months agie with a 14 month subscription so it is only 10 months old and that should not be quite a ways back. I also hate the subscription service a lot of companies are going to. I would spend most of my paycheck on software if I kept every subscription current all the time. I prefer to buy and own the software and upgrade when there are new features I need.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @fmashburn The subscription model has been debated ad nauseam on this forum. There's really no point of getting into that discussion here. It's not going to change.

That said, while there's no guarantee, it's a good bet that 6.0.3 will still run on Monterey since (I don't think that) there has been much changed under the hood. Hopefully someone running 6.0.x on Monterey will chime in here to confirm.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I agree with Rick that there's likely no reason 6.0.3, which is just from 12 months ago, should work on Monterey. Unless there were under-the-hood changes which were never mentioned in the release notes, there haven't been OS-specific changes to the program in this past year. At the time Monterey came out this fall, Quicken had just rolled out version 6.4, but nothing in that release was Monterey-specific, and people who tested Monterey with the prior 6.3 release noted no issues.

There is one Monterey-specific issue I'm aware of in the current Quicken Mac, and which I'd guess might affect 6.0.3: columns and column headings in some reports don't align correctly.

(I'd note that wen you say "I prefer to upgrade when there are new features I need" that keeping up with Apple's ever-changing operating system is one of those "features" we all need. ;) )

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Given that you are already paying for the subscription there isn't a "money reason" not to keep up to date.

On the subject of "new features I need", what people lots of times neglect to take into account is that the world around them doesn't adhere to staying put for them (the same goes for "If it isn't broke, don't fix it.")

Yes, there can be problems staying up to date, but it will also be the "most known state".  The longer one waits to update the less their setup looks like the people answering questions setup looks like, and as such were questions like your become more and more guesswork.

As a developer I can guarantee that the public release notes do not have all the changes listed in them.  They are the ones that the marketing/development group feels that the public needs to know.  What's more people tend to completely forget that Quicken talks to servers that are also changing and there is next to no documentation on what changed on them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Chris_QPW said:
    Given that you are already paying for the subscription there isn't a "money reason" not to keep up to date.
    @Chris_QPW I think you misread the post. The user purchased a 14 month subscription 24 months ago, so the subscription expired 10 months ago. And they don't want to pay to maintain an active subscription.

But they do want to upgrade their operating system. Since they already can't download anything in Quicken because the subscription has lapsed, keeping up with financial institution changes is irrelevant here. The only question is whether the application runs on a newer operating system than the one which was current when that version was current.

As for release notes, I absolutely agree they never document every tweak and bug fix. But at least as regards Quicken Mac, the product manager has been very deliberate and public in the past when they are going to discontinue support for any older operating systems. While there's no guarantee that will always be the case, there seems to be a high likelihood of probability that he would have mentioned it if that had happened this year. 

To @fmashburn I'd say that the developers definitely do not do testing of older versions of Quicken on newer operating systems. So no one at Quicken can or will give you any conclusive information about what works except for those on the current subscription product. I've given you the reasons why I believe it likely will work fine, but there's really no way to know for sure without trying it. Very few other Quicken users will be on that specific release (only those who subscriptions, like yours, expired in early 2021, before the next release). If you have good reasons for wanting to upgrade to Monterey, I would assume it will work okay, but you should be prepared that in the worst case scenario, you will need to pay for a new one-year subscription to Quicken to get current — and then you can let that subscription expire until the next time something requires you to update. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs thanks, yes, I misread it on the subscription.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.