Reconciliation problem with Chase investment

PS9296
PS9296 Member
I have multiple Chase checking, savings and investment accounts. I am only having the following problem with one of them, and it's been going on for about 4 months. The others work just fine. I've used Quicken everyday for about 20 years, so I have practice with periodic tech issues. But, this one has stumped both Quicken & Chase tech teams.

I use Quicken for Mac, via the new annual subscription requirement, and do all the updates. Of course, I've tried to disconnect/re-connect the account multiple times, but it did not resolve the issue.

In one of 6 investment accounts, the "Online Balance" , for the reconciliation process, does not match the amount on Chase statements or Chase Website. It is off by exactly $4000. I can reconcile perfectly using the "Statement Balance". In other words, my Register has the right transactions and correct totals, but the daily download of "Online Balance" does not reflect what Chase has on its website.

Quicken says the "online balance" is a number received from Chase. Chase says the number on the website and statements are correct, so Quicken is posting the wrong amount in the "online balance"
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    PS9296 said:
    I have multiple Chase checking, savings and investment accounts. I am only having the following problem with one of them, and it's been going on for about 4 months. The others work just fine. I've used Quicken everyday for about 20 years, so I have practice with periodic tech issues. But, this one has stumped both Quicken & Chase tech teams.

I use Quicken for Mac, via the new annual subscription requirement, and do all the updates. Of course, I've tried to disconnect/re-connect the account multiple times, but it did not resolve the issue.

In one of 6 investment accounts, the "Online Balance" , for the reconciliation process, does not match the amount on Chase statements or Chase Website. It is off by exactly $4000. I can reconcile perfectly using the "Statement Balance". In other words, my Register has the right transactions and correct totals, but the daily download of "Online Balance" does not reflect what Chase has on its website.

Quicken says the "online balance" is a number received from Chase. Chase says the number on the website and statements are correct, so Quicken is posting the wrong amount in the "online balance"
    Hello @PS9296,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with online balances. Thank you for taking this matter to the Quicken Community.

I just want to confirm: are there any large pending transactions in your online banking history? Also, do you know if there are any adjustments in the account that may be throwing off this balance? I am assuming that some of this may have been discussed with support teams in the past, given that you mention speaking with them, but it is worth revisiting.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • PS9296
    PS9296 Member
    I'm sorry to say that there are no adjustments or pending transactions. In fact, my register balance matches the numbers posted on the Chase's website for my account, hence I'm able to reconcile to the monthly statements.

The only number that is different is the "Online Balance" in the reconciliation process. I'm able to reconcile to this number daily for all other Quicken accounts. But, this one investment account is off by exactly $4000. And to make things more interesting, this account does not have any $4000 transactions.

Quicken support told me to call Chase because the "online balance" number is something received from Chase. Of course, Chase said to call Quicken. I think it's a Quicken problem because it started shortly after a "software update" last summer.
  • Quicken Jared
    PS9296 said:
    I'm sorry to say that there are no adjustments or pending transactions. In fact, my register balance matches the numbers posted on the Chase's website for my account, hence I'm able to reconcile to the monthly statements.

The only number that is different is the "Online Balance" in the reconciliation process. I'm able to reconcile to this number daily for all other Quicken accounts. But, this one investment account is off by exactly $4000. And to make things more interesting, this account does not have any $4000 transactions.

Quicken support told me to call Chase because the "online balance" number is something received from Chase. Of course, Chase said to call Quicken. I think it's a Quicken problem because it started shortly after a "software update" last summer.
    @PS9296

Thank you for responding again and keeping me informed. It is unfortunate that we weren't able to resolve the problem with that line of inquiry, but we'll keep looking into this. Do you know what Connection Type is being used? To determine this, go to the Account option in the menu at the top of the screen, then to Settings > Downloads.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • PS9296
    PS9296 Member
    Direct Connect
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    Hi @PS9296,

Thank you for your response. Could you please try a test file using this specific Chase account and see if the same error occurs? 

You can do this by going to file>new and then adding the Chase account to this file. I would also recommend saving a backup first just to be safe. 

Please let us know what occurs. 

Thank you,
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• PS9296
    PS9296 Member
    The test created an interesting result. The register amount was reduced by $4000 and it now matches the Online Balance. However, the statement reconciliation process is now off by $4000 and the portfolio does not match what Chase shows on their website...by $4000.
  • Quicken Jared
    @PS9296,

Thanks for continuing to follow up with us, and we are sorry that the issue seems to be persisting. Would you be willing to report the problem, if you have the chance? You would do this by going to the Help menu with Quicken open, and then go to Report a Problem. This would provide the Quicken support team with much-needed data about this particular issue to analysis and help them work toward a resolution.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • PS9296
    PS9296 Member
    Thanks for the tip. I reported the problem as per your instruction.
This discussion has been closed.