Archiving vs. creating a copy

Options
Martlock
Martlock Member ✭✭
What is the difference between creating a year end archive and creating a copy/template? I had assumed that creating an archive would actually remove the entries from the selected dates, but when I did a practice archive choosing very old dates that normally show up (because we've never done anything but just keep using the same file), and then looked up a long term customer, all the data from those chosen dates for that customer showed up as usual when doing a search. So what, exactly, does "archiving" actually do? When then made me wonder what the "copy" option actually does and how do they differ?

I back up the entire file every week, but have never used the other options. However, the file is getting pretty big and unwieldy and I would like to get it to where we are using only the current year EXCEPT still have access to show uncleared transactions from any date. Is this possible?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please see this Help article and post back with any questions
    https://www.quicken.com/support/creating-year-end-copy-end-calendar-year
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Martlock
    Martlock Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Please see this Help article and post back with any questions
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/creating-year-end-copy-end-calendar-year

Well, yes, I read that already, but like I posted above, when I follow the instructions, and archive a specific time period, nothing seems to change and all those transactions (that are reconciled transactions) still appear as they always have when I use the current file. Are you saying anything archived does not get taken "away" to a separate file but rather just remains in my current file? If so, what is the point of archiving?

I used the "I only want transaction in my current data file starting with this date:" option.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry, I can't comment because I have not used that feature. My data file has all the data dating back to when I first started using Quicken in 2000 and it has not caused any problems (so far!)
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jdsmurf1
    jdsmurf1 Member
    Options
    Martlock, I did the same thing this morning and put in 1-1-2019 to start and all other years just in archive. I also told it to use the same file and I got the same result. My current file looks the same as when I started which included 2017 & 2018. Hope we get an answer to this
  • mfletch01
    mfletch01 Member
    Options
    Hello. I recently ran into the same issue archiving everything before 01/01/2021. For some accounts nothing changed and others I ended up with multiple opening balances for years prior to 2021that were not in line with what the actual opening balance should have been. In addition, my investment account balances were off because paycheck (payroll deduction) entries were deleted. Took me two days to correct all of my accounts. Definitely doesn't work as expected. My file size didn't change much at all, still over 70kb.
This discussion has been closed.