Use Multiple Quicken ID's on one computer

Options
I manage two separate organizations books. Can I purchase two separate subscriptions and run each account separate from the other? If so, would this be controlled by the login? If that will work, how do you sign out of one to allow signing into the other. :) I do not want both accounts under the same ID

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    You may have multiple subscriptions.   A subscription is associated with a Quicken ID, a functioning email address you must provide.  An authenticated Quicken ID is set in the Quicken file: select Edit > Preferences... and Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In short, yes, you can purchase two separate subscriptions but we can have only one subscription per Quicken ID.  So, in order to do that you will need to set up a 2nd Quicken ID (i.e., a 2nd Quicken.com account with a separate email account).
    If you will be passing those Quicken files to different individuals for them to access the data files I guess I can understand how you might want to have two separate Quicken IDs.  But file security will not be accomplished by having separate Quicken IDs.  Quicken IDs mostly tells Quicken that the user has a valid license and tells Quicken which edition the user is subscribed to (so Quicken knows which features are to be turned on or off).
    If you want to make sure the data files have secure access, then you will need to password protect them.  You can assign a unique PW to each data file (Edit > Preferences > Startup > Password required when Quicken starts: Yes.)
    But if you will not be passing the data files to others in the Orgs, then I suggest you consider doing the following with just your current Quicken ID, instead.:
    • Set up one Quicken data file and name it, for example, "Organization 1". 
    • Then go to File > New Quicken File and name it, for example, "Organization 2". 
    • You can assign separate login PWs to each data file if you wish.
    Now you will have two separate data files, one for each organization.  The data from each file is not visible in the other file.  Each file will have it's own unique Cloud Account ID with no cross-talk between them.
    I have a single Quicken ID and single subscription.  I also manage not only my personal data file but also separate data files for 3 other people and a trust and about 8 different test files.  They are all unique and totally segregated from each other.  And it works really well.
    If your concern is that each org needs a different edition (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business), you should note that you cannot have 2 separate installations of Quicken on your computer.  But all you need is a subscription for the one that needs the highest level and then you can run both files with that...without needing to buy a 2nd subscription.
    Bottom line is that having a 2nd subscription does not really buy you anything of value unless you want to keep someone from one Org from seeing the Quicken.com account data for the other Org.
    If you will not be passing your data files back and forth between yourself and others in the Orgs, then I think what I suggested is your better option.
    Let me know if you have any questions or if you are trying to accomplish something that I did not cover above.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You may have multiple subscriptions.   A subscription is associated with a Quicken ID, a functioning email address you must provide.  An authenticated Quicken ID is set in the Quicken file: select Edit > Preferences... and Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In short, yes, you can purchase two separate subscriptions but we can have only one subscription per Quicken ID.  So, in order to do that you will need to set up a 2nd Quicken ID (i.e., a 2nd Quicken.com account with a separate email account).
    If you will be passing those Quicken files to different individuals for them to access the data files I guess I can understand how you might want to have two separate Quicken IDs.  But file security will not be accomplished by having separate Quicken IDs.  Quicken IDs mostly tells Quicken that the user has a valid license and tells Quicken which edition the user is subscribed to (so Quicken knows which features are to be turned on or off).
    If you want to make sure the data files have secure access, then you will need to password protect them.  You can assign a unique PW to each data file (Edit > Preferences > Startup > Password required when Quicken starts: Yes.)
    But if you will not be passing the data files to others in the Orgs, then I suggest you consider doing the following with just your current Quicken ID, instead.:
    • Set up one Quicken data file and name it, for example, "Organization 1". 
    • Then go to File > New Quicken File and name it, for example, "Organization 2". 
    • You can assign separate login PWs to each data file if you wish.
    Now you will have two separate data files, one for each organization.  The data from each file is not visible in the other file.  Each file will have it's own unique Cloud Account ID with no cross-talk between them.
    I have a single Quicken ID and single subscription.  I also manage not only my personal data file but also separate data files for 3 other people and a trust and about 8 different test files.  They are all unique and totally segregated from each other.  And it works really well.
    If your concern is that each org needs a different edition (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business), you should note that you cannot have 2 separate installations of Quicken on your computer.  But all you need is a subscription for the one that needs the highest level and then you can run both files with that...without needing to buy a 2nd subscription.
    Bottom line is that having a 2nd subscription does not really buy you anything of value unless you want to keep someone from one Org from seeing the Quicken.com account data for the other Org.
    If you will not be passing your data files back and forth between yourself and others in the Orgs, then I think what I suggested is your better option.
    Let me know if you have any questions or if you are trying to accomplish something that I did not cover above.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• MGFMC
    MGFMC Member
    Options
    :) Thank you - you answered my question. I appreciate your input to making things work under one ID but the data will be crossing between hands and each organization will pay for their account.
This discussion has been closed.